- VideoThe Other Muslim Fringe: Muslim Activism in Europe
- CommentaryThe Invisible Muslims: Reporting about Islam in AmericaThis piece originally appeared on Nieman Reports. Days after last year’s terrorist attack on a public services center in San Bernardino, California, Kristen Stangas was standing amid a cluster of reporters outside …Topics: Creativity and Innovation, Media, Muslims and Islam, Religious Extremism, Violence
- CommentaryHow to solve the difficult problem of adding ‘Muslim’ to ‘American’This post originally appeared on the Los Angeles Times. In mid-September, my 6-year-old daughter ran into our living room and literally started jumping for joy. “Baba, it’s a miracle!” she told her father with …Topics: Creativity and Innovation, Family and Relationships, Media, Muslims and Islam, National and Cultural Identity, Political Attitudes and Values, Race and Culture
- CommentaryU2, Justin Bieber and the Future of ChristianityWhat exactly is the shelf life of a headlining rock band and an equally headline-grabbing pastor? When I heard that U2 had summoned megachurch pastor Rick Warren to minister to them in …Topics: Branding and Marketing, Creativity and Innovation, Media, Megachurches
- VideoVisual Religion: The Cultural Work of Seeing and Believing
- CommentaryWhat Lies Beneath USA’s Dig Is More Than EntertainmentThere is an unholy secret hiding in Jerusalem. So says the website and promotional material for the USA Network Show: Dig. It airs this spring as a 10-part series that promises a …Topics: International Affairs and Policy, Media, Middle East and North Africa, Place and Religion
- CommentaryLooking at Jesus In PaintingsNote from Prof. Krieger: I have been working in City Heights in San Diego, and documenting the churches there. I have a book in progress on “pollution” and one of its foci …Topics: Christians and Christianity, Jews and Judaism, Media, Religious Beliefs and Rituals
- CommentaryReflections on “Preachers of LA” and the Prosperity Gospel“Preachers of LA,” is a new reality show on Oxygen, chronicling the outsized lives of celebrity pastors living a life of prosperity. Over 1.2 million viewers watched the show’s premiere, but what …Topics: Black Church, Branding and Marketing, Christians and Christianity, Media
- CRCC in the NewsNew Oxygen reality show “Preachers of LA” sparks controversyA new reality TV show featuring pastors “living the God life” in Los Angeles has sparked a wave of controversy. Will Oxygen’s “Preachers of LA,” encourage exhibitionism and open the church to …Topics: Black Church, Christians and Christianity, CMCCE, Media, Megachurches
- BookThe Oxford Handbook of Religion and the American News MediaThe Oxford Handbook of Religion and the American News Media Diane Winston, Editor (Oxford University Press: 2012) Whether the issue is the rise of religiously inspired terrorism, …Topics: book chapter, Media
- CommentaryAn Evangelical Changing of the Guard?This post originally appeared at Trans/Missions, the USC Knight Chair in Media and Religion site. At about the same time that President Barack Obama came out in favor of gay marriage, and …Topics: Evangelicals and Evangelicalism, LGBT Issues, Media, Transmissions
- CommentaryMovies, Money and MoralityThis post originally appeared on Trans-Missions, the USC Knight Chair in Media and Religion site. When I was a kid the Movieguide newsletter would arrive and, if I was quick enough, I …Topics: Media, Transmissions
To schedule an interview with one of our experts, please contact CRCC:
email@example.com or 213-743-1611
- Steven Barrie-AnthonyContributing FellowSteven Barrie-Anthony is a scholar and writer who examines spiritual and religious innovation and change and its impacts on public life, such as on styles of civic and political action.
- Brie LoskotaExecutive DirectorBrie Loskota researches how religions change and make change in the world, and works to build the capacity of religious communities around the globe.
- Jonathan RussellContributing FellowJonnie Russell is a scholar engaging religion, philosophy and politics, and a chaplain working for social justice on Skid Row in downtown Los Angeles.
- Nick StreetSenior WriterNick Street is a journalist covering religious change and innovation, Buddhism, Pentecostalism and LGBT issues.
- Megan SweasEditor and Director of CommunicationsMegan Sweas is a journalist specializing in social and economic justice issues and world religions.
- Diane WinstonUniversity FellowAs a journalist and scholar, Diane Winston is a national authority on religion, politics, the news media and entertainment.