- CRCC in the NewsReligion & Politics Features AMCLI – The Influential Network of American Muslim LeadersThe American Muslim Civic Leadership Institute is “one of the country’s most influential networks of American Muslim civic leaders,” according to an article profiling the group in Religion & Politics. AMCLI, which …Topics: AMCLI, Community Organizing, Muslims and Islam, Religious Leadership, Social Services
- VideoPico Union Project: An Interfaith Space in Los Angeles
- VideoA Mosque with Open Doors, Inviting the Community In
- VideoThe Other Muslim Fringe: Muslim Activism in Europe
- CommentaryA Religious Test No One Can PassWe are seeing a rise of government policy predicated on religious illiteracy and religious bigotry. Executive orders are being formed to target Muslims, and border procedures assessing acceptable and unacceptable religious belief …Topics: Government and Religion, Immigration, Muslims and Islam
- CommentaryIn Trump Era, Young Muslims Question Respectability Politics of MosquesThis article originally appeared on Religion Dispatches. Possibly this week, President Trump might sign yet another executive order, this time restricting entry to the United States from majority Muslim countries [read a draft …Topics: Creativity and Innovation, Government and Religion, Immigration, LGBT Issues, Muslims and Islam, National and Cultural Identity, Political Attitudes and Values, Race and Culture, Religious Affiliation
- CRCC in the NewsL.A. Times: Muslims Express Concern Ahead of Trump InaugurationAmerican Muslims fear Donald Trump’s presidency may bring hostility and legislation targeted against them, the Los Angeles Times reported. CRCC’s Brie Loskota provided context for the article, saying that concerns about hate …Topics: Muslims and Islam, Race and Culture
- CommentaryThe Invisible Muslims: Reporting about Islam in AmericaThis piece originally appeared on Nieman Reports. Days after last year’s terrorist attack on a public services center in San Bernardino, California, Kristen Stangas was standing amid a cluster of reporters outside …Topics: Creativity and Innovation, Media, Muslims and Islam, Religious Extremism, Violence
- CRCC in the NewsCSM: Why Jews Are Coming to the Defense of Mosques in AmericaIn the face of a hostile climate to religious minorities, American Jews and Muslims are increasingly finding ways to collaborate and support each other, Christian Science Monitor reported. CRCC Executive Brie Loskota …Topics: Government and Religion, Interfaith/Multifaith Movements, Jews and Judaism, Muslims and Islam
- CommentaryWhat it Means to be a Fearless AllyThis post is Brie Loskota’s acceptance speech for the El-Hibri Foundation’s “Fearless Ally” Award and was published by The Aspen Institute. I was born in the Philippines, I was raised as a …Topics: Creativity and Innovation, Highlights, Interfaith/Multifaith Movements, Muslims and Islam, Religious Leadership
- CommentaryHow to solve the difficult problem of adding ‘Muslim’ to ‘American’This post originally appeared on the Los Angeles Times. In mid-September, my 6-year-old daughter ran into our living room and literally started jumping for joy. “Baba, it’s a miracle!” she told her father with …Topics: Creativity and Innovation, Family and Relationships, Media, Muslims and Islam, National and Cultural Identity, Political Attitudes and Values, Race and Culture
- ArticleDoing It All For Her: A Lesbian Muslim Hip-Hop Singer on Art and ActivismThis article originally appeared on The Huffington Post. “I could’ve been like the dude in Orlando,” said Jaheda Choudhury-Potter, a self-described “geeky dark-skinned lesbian Muslim” who fronts a queer hip-hop band in …Topics: Creativity and Innovation, Europe, LGBT Issues, Muslims and Islam, Religious Extremism, Violence
To schedule an interview with one of our experts, please contact CRCC:
email@example.com or 213-743-1611
- Sumaya AbubakerProject ManagerSumaya Abubaker manages leadership and civic engagement programming for minority faith communities.
- Hebah FarragAssistant Director of ResearchHebah Farrag manages the center’s research and evaluation projects while engaging in research focused on religion, social change and new spiritualties.
- Brie LoskotaExecutive DirectorBrie Loskota researches how religions change and make change in the world, and works to build the capacity of religious communities around the globe.
- Napah Phyakul QuachDirector of FinanceNapah Phyakul Quach administers CRCC’s contracts and grants as well as oversees operations.
- Nadia RoumaniContributing FellowNadia Roumani has worked with a wide range of organizations over the past decade to better understand the needs of Muslim communities across the United States.
- Rhonda RoumaniContributing FellowRhonda Roumani is a freelance journalist who writes about both the Middle East and Islam in the Muslim world and in the United States.