- CommentaryIn Trump Era, Young Muslims Question Respectability Politics of MosquesThis article originally appeared on Religion Dispatches. Possibly this week, President Trump might sign yet another executive order, this time restricting entry to the United States from majority Muslim countries [read a draft …Topics: Creativity and Innovation, Government and Religion, Immigration, LGBT Issues, Muslims and Islam, National and Cultural Identity, Political Attitudes and Values, Race and Culture, Religious Affiliation
- CommentaryHow to solve the difficult problem of adding ‘Muslim’ to ‘American’This post originally appeared on the Los Angeles Times. In mid-September, my 6-year-old daughter ran into our living room and literally started jumping for joy. “Baba, it’s a miracle!” she told her father with …Topics: Creativity and Innovation, Family and Relationships, Media, Muslims and Islam, National and Cultural Identity, Political Attitudes and Values, Race and Culture
- CommentaryWhy Are Muslim Americans Feeling the Bern? (Updated)Editor’s Note: Rhonda updated this post to reflect the broader trends of the election. A coalition of Muslim, Black and Latino activists recently shut down a rally for presidential contender Donald Trump …Topics: Creativity and Innovation, Muslims and Islam, National and Cultural Identity, Political Attitudes and Values, Race and Culture, Voting and Elections
- CommentaryMile of Miracles: A Microcosm of L.A.’s Religious Diversity(Photo by Candice Montgomery from Flickr Commons.) The processes of spiritual seeking, discovering and creating are constantly shaping and reshaping the religious landscape of Los Angeles. Far from being a godless metropolis, …Topics: Creativity and Innovation, Demographics, National and Cultural Identity, Place and Religion, Race and Ethnicity, Religious Affiliation, Southern California
- CommentaryHappy Chrismukkah: On the Complexity of Jewish Identity(Image from Adam Baron on Flickr Commons) Back in March, I traveled to a two-day conference called “Rethinking Jewish Identity and Education” at the Mandel Center at Brandeis University. On the flight …Topics: Family and Relationships, Jews and Judaism, National and Cultural Identity, Religious Affiliation
- CommentaryCreative Expressions of JewishnessThis month, the Yiddish Book Center will launch a new program called Tent: Encounters With Jewish Culture, which is based on the belief that “modern culture can inspire us to think imaginatively …Topics: Jews and Judaism, Millennials, National and Cultural Identity, Religious Affiliation
- CommentaryGiving and Taking – Researching Sacred Native American SitesIt needs a particular courage not to overcome the past but to live with it still. -Geoffrey Hartman Over the Thanksgiving table last week, a family member told a story about a …Topics: National and Cultural Identity, Place and Religion, Religious Minorities
- CommentarySearching for Islam’s New Narratives in our Own Back YardIn the past few weeks, two familiar voices have reemerged to explain the violence and rage that erupted in Libya, Egypt, and across the Muslim world earlier this month. Ayaan Hirsi Ali …Topics: Middle East and North Africa, Muslims and Islam, National and Cultural Identity, Political Attitudes and Values, Population Trends, Protests and Uprisings
- CommentaryJewish Identity and the High HolidaysMy dual roles as a Jewish sociologist and a sociologist of American Jewry come to the forefront during the Jewish High Holidays. Each year, as I take part in the holidays, I …Topics: Jews and Judaism, National and Cultural Identity, Religious Affiliation, Religious Beliefs and Rituals
- ReportThe Latino Church NextThe Religious Scene in Latino Los Angeles 2012 To be a Latino Christian is fundamentally to believe that the God who continues to interact with humanity will continue to do so in …Topics: Catholics and Catholicism, Christians and Christianity, Latinos, National and Cultural Identity, Race and Ethnicity, Southern California
- VideoBuilding Community: The Ethiopians of Los Angeles
To schedule an interview with one of our experts, please contact CRCC:
email@example.com or 213-743-1611
- Steven Barrie-AnthonyContributing FellowSteven Barrie-Anthony is a scholar and writer who examines spiritual and religious innovation and change and its impacts on public life, such as on styles of civic and political action.
- Juan MartínezContributing FellowJuan Martinez studies the history of Latino Protestantism, Latino Protestant identity and transnational mission among U.S. Latinos.
- John B. OrrCo-founder & University FellowJohn B. Orr has worked extensively in the fields of religion, education and politics.
- Bruce PhillipsUniversity FellowBruce Phillips is among the leading researchers in the sociology of American Jewry and is an avid historian of Los Angeles.