- BookIf I Give My Soul: Faith Behind Bars in Rio de JaneiroIf I Give My Soul: Faith Behind Bars in Rio de Janeiro By Andrew Johnson (Oxford University Press, 2017) The writing of this book was supported by the Pentecostal Charismatic Research Initiative. …Topics: Books, Christians and Christianity, Criminal Justice, Economic Inequality, Latin America, Pentecostals and Pentecostalism, Religious Beliefs and Rituals
- CommentaryEmbodied Religion: Reassessing the Role of the “Senses” in Religious ResearchWe often make the mistake of identifying religious vitality with assent to particular beliefs. In this process, we forget that intellectual assent to beliefs is merely one element of religious experience. I …Topics: Christians and Christianity, Creativity and Innovation, Latin America, Religious Beliefs and Rituals
- VideoNefesh: A Soulful Experiment in Jewish Revival
- CommentaryReimagining Religion: The 10 Qualities of Creative CommunitiesThe following was edited from Brie Loskota’s opening remarks at Reimagining Religion: A Conversation about the Future of Religion, held at University of Southern California on February 9, 2017. We are in …Topics: Creativity and Innovation, Religious Affiliation, Religious Beliefs and Rituals
- CommentaryThe Kingdom of God and American ExceptionalismDoes America have a special God-given role in the world? In meetings with both evangelical and religiously unaffiliated young adults in Los Angeles, I have seen a shift in the understanding of …Topics: Christians and Christianity, Evangelicals and Evangelicalism, Political Attitudes and Values, Religious Beliefs and Rituals, Voting and Elections
- VideoAgainst the Stream: Taking Refuge in an American Sangha
- CommentaryAn “Everybody Friendly, Artist-Driven, God-Optional” Jewish New YearMost of my memories of Jewish worship services are an amalgamation of the hundreds of services I’ve attended throughout my life. But there are a few that stand out. At a Shabbat …Topics: Creativity and Innovation, Jews and Judaism, Meditation and Prayer, Religious Beliefs and Rituals
- EventReimagining Religion Conference Program and Livestream – Feb. 9, 2017Scroll below to watch the livestream (times of panels noted on conference schedule) February 9, 2017 University of Southern California Preview: Increasingly, Americans are choosing not to identify with a particular religious …Topics: Creativity and Innovation, Meditation and Prayer, Political Attitudes and Values, Religious "Nones", Religious Affiliation, Religious Beliefs and Rituals, Southern California
- CRCC in the NewsKPCC Take Two: Raising Children in a Time of Religious ChangeKPCC’s Take Two took on the question of how parents can introduce their kids to religion and spirituality. CRCC Executive Director Brie Loskota offered her expertise in both religion and parenting for …Topics: Creativity and Innovation, Family and Relationships, Religious Beliefs and Rituals, Religious Pluralism
- CommentaryDobson’s Baby: Trump’s Baptism at the Evangelical-Washing FontThis post originally appeared in Religion Dispatches. Donald Trump is now a “baby Christian“? Now that Trump has become the presumptive GOP nominee—the old guard has stepped forward to engage in an ancient …Topics: Christians and Christianity, Evangelicals and Evangelicalism, Political Attitudes and Values, Religious Beliefs and Rituals, Voting and Elections
- CommentaryA Time for Moral Reflection – The Silver Lining After the Orlando ShootingIn the horror of the Orlando massacre, there may be a silver lining. This event, as well as the killings at Emanuel Church in Charleston one year ago and other national atrocities, …Topics: Creativity and Innovation, Political Attitudes and Values, Religious Beliefs and Rituals, Religious Extremism, Religious Leadership, Violence
- CRCC in the NewsKPCC Take Two: Brie Loskota on Making Sense of TragedyWith vigils being held throughout the country after the massacre at Pulse nightclub in Orlando, KPCC asked Brie Loskota to address the urge to come together after national tragedies. Here are a …Topics: Meditation and Prayer, Religious "Nones", Religious Affiliation, Religious Beliefs and Rituals, Violence
To schedule an interview with one of our experts, please contact CRCC:
firstname.lastname@example.org or 213-743-1611
- Richard FlorySenior Director of Research and EvaluationRichard Flory is a sociologist whose work focuses on religion and urban life, religious and cultural change, and youth and young adults.
- Nalika GajaweeraResearch AssociateNalika Gajaweera is a cultural anthropologist specialized in Buddhism, transnationalism and ethics, with an area expertise in South Asia.
- Brie LoskotaExecutive DirectorBrie Loskota researches how religions change and make change in the world, and works to build the capacity of religious communities around the globe.
- Donald E. MillerDirector of Strategic InitiativesDonald Miller focuses on global religious trends, genocides of the 20th century, and the role of religious NGOs in addressing issues of moral concern.
- Nick StreetSenior WriterNick Street is a journalist covering religious change and innovation, Buddhism, Pentecostalism and LGBT issues.