- VideoMay 3, 1992: Rev. Cecil Murray Preaches as the Fires of the L.A. Riots Burn
- CommentaryThe Invisible Muslims: Reporting about Islam in AmericaThis piece originally appeared on Nieman Reports. Days after last year’s terrorist attack on a public services center in San Bernardino, California, Kristen Stangas was standing amid a cluster of reporters outside …Topics: Creativity and Innovation, Media, Muslims and Islam, Religious Extremism, Violence
- CRCC in the NewsReligion News Service: 15 Years After 9/11, Are Congregations Prepared for Disasters?The 15th anniversary of 9/11 reminds religious leaders of the important role of congregations when faced with community disasters, Religion News Service reported. Few faith leaders, however, actually prepare plans to address …Topics: Disaster Response, Religious Leadership, Violence
- CRCC in the NewsOC Register: Police and Community Will March Together in AugustUPDATE: OC Register columnist David Whiting wrote about the OC Solidarity March led by Pastor Mark Whitlock and Murray Center alum Charles Dorsey. Over the years, I’ve witnessed dozens of marches – some for peace, …Topics: CMCCE, Protests and Uprisings, Religious Leadership, Violence
- ArticleDoing It All For Her: A Lesbian Muslim Hip-Hop Singer on Art and ActivismThis article originally appeared on The Huffington Post. “I could’ve been like the dude in Orlando,” said Jaheda Choudhury-Potter, a self-described “geeky dark-skinned lesbian Muslim” who fronts a queer hip-hop band in …Topics: Creativity and Innovation, Europe, LGBT Issues, Muslims and Islam, Religious Extremism, Violence
- CRCC in the NewsOC Register & Jewish Journal: Voices for Peace After ShootingsWith tensions high after police shootings and the shootings of officers in Dallas and Baton Rouge, the leaders of the the Cecil Murray Center for Community Engagement continue to be voices of …Topics: Black Church, CMCCE, Race and Culture, Religious Leadership, Violence
- CommentaryWhat’s a Preacher to Say in the Wake of Tragedy?If you were anywhere near a radio, TV to catch the news this past week, you know that July 5-8 was a difficult and emotionally charged week. We saw footage of not …Topics: Black Church, Christians and Christianity, CMCCE, Creativity and Innovation, Protests and Uprisings, Race and Culture, Religious Leadership, Violence
- CommentaryThe Welterweight Church UshercreatThis post originally appeared on Huffington Post. Shawn Porter is not the only one skipping meals in preparation for his WBA welterweight title bout this Saturday night at the Barclays Center. In …Topics: Black Church, Christians and Christianity, Creativity and Innovation, Violence
- CommentaryA Time for Moral Reflection – The Silver Lining After the Orlando ShootingIn the horror of the Orlando massacre, there may be a silver lining. This event, as well as the killings at Emanuel Church in Charleston one year ago and other national atrocities, …Topics: Creativity and Innovation, Political Attitudes and Values, Religious Beliefs and Rituals, Religious Extremism, Religious Leadership, Violence
- CommentaryFrom Louisville to Orlando: Muslim Americans in a Time of Hope and CrisisMany of my American Muslim friends from all across the U.S. traveled to Louisville a few weekends ago to pay their respects and to reflect on the life of Muhammad Ali. They …Topics: LGBT Issues, Muslims and Islam, Religious Extremism, Religious Leadership, Violence
- CRCC in the NewsKPCC Take Two: Brie Loskota on Making Sense of TragedyWith vigils being held throughout the country after the massacre at Pulse nightclub in Orlando, KPCC asked Brie Loskota to address the urge to come together after national tragedies. Here are a …Topics: Meditation and Prayer, Religious "Nones", Religious Affiliation, Religious Beliefs and Rituals, Violence
- CommentaryPre-Fight and Post-Fight PrayersThis post originally appeared on Huffington Post. Last November Andre Berto made an unannounced trip to Inova Fairfax Hospital. He went to visit both a comatose Prichard Colón and a family pleading …Topics: Christians and Christianity, Creativity and Innovation, Meditation and Prayer, Violence
To schedule an interview with one of our experts, please contact CRCC:
email@example.com or 213-743-1611
- Sumaya AbubakerProject ManagerSumaya Abubaker manages leadership and civic engagement programming for minority faith communities.
- Steven Barrie-AnthonyContributing FellowSteven Barrie-Anthony is a scholar and writer who examines spiritual and religious innovation and change and its impacts on public life, such as on styles of civic and political action.
- Rev. Frank Jackson, Jr.Contributing FellowRev. Frank Jackson, Jr. couples his experience in business and investment with his passion for community development.
- Najuma Smith-PollardProgram Manager of the USC Cecil Murray Center for Community EngagementRev. Najuma Smith-Pollard combines her experience as a pastor and expertise as a community leader to train Murray Center Fellows.
- Mark WhitlockExecutive Director of USC Cecil Murray Center for Community EngagementRev. Mark Whitlock is a pastor specializing in church leadership and community and economic development.