The American Muslim Civic Leadership Institute is now accepting applications for its 2022 Leadership Program! The 2022 program will be virtual. It will include sessions on effective leadership, community organizing, conflict resolution, storytelling, and organizational and cultural change. The dates are:
- Orientation: Wednesday, September 14, 2022
- Retreat Part 1: Saturday-Sunday, September 17-18, 2022
- Retreat Part 2: Saturday-Sunday, September 24-25, 2022
Below, you will find details about:
Section 1: Application Information
Please carefully review the information on this page before starting your application. Make sure to allocate sufficient time to complete the application. Successful applications cannot be completed in one night. Therefore, we recommend that you start the application early. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. The second section of this page contains instructions for requesting an application.
AMCLI 18 Leadership Program
Tuesday, May 31, 2022 (11 PM PST): Last day to request an application
Tuesday, June 28, 2022 (11 PM PST): Application submission deadline
Tuesday, July 12, 2022: Acceptance notification will be sent out via e-mail
Tuesday, July 26, 2022 (5 PM PST): Confirmation of participation in program
Tuesday, August 9, 2022 (5 PM PST): Deadline to submit program fee (submit online)
September 14, 17-18, 24-25, 2022: AMCLI 18 Virtual Leadership Program retreat
Applicants must meet the following criteria:
- Are committed to civic engagement in the American Muslim community
- Hold a position within a nonprofit organization, government, network, media, or faith institution (paid/unpaid)
- Are committed to advancing their community rather than simply advancing their personal platform
- Are proficient in written and spoken English
- Are at least 25 years of age
- Pay a non-refundable virtual program fee of $495* (credit card ONLY).
*Accepted applicants are required to pay a non-refundable $495 virtual program fee to secure their place in the program. Credit card only. Please note that the program fee is NOT considered a tuition payment to the University of Southern California for tax purposes.
Section 2: Application Process
Step A: Request an individualized application link:
After your application request has been submitted, you will receive an email containing a unique application link that will allow you to complete your online application at your own pace, allowing you to exit and reenter your application without losing your entries.
Application links are sent out once a week on Tuesdays. If your request was submitted Tuesday-Monday, you will receive your application link the following Tuesday (COB).
Step B: Prepare your application:
Prepare your resume and upload it into the application form.
Complete the following short essay questions in a word processing program, then cut and paste each answer into the online application form (500-word max per question):
- Please describe your civic engagement work, particularly noting your work with the Muslim community. Please describe the primary organization through which you conduct your civic engagement work. This should include a brief description of its mission and activities, your role and responsibilities, and accomplishments in the organization.
- What problem that is impacting your Muslim community do you want to contribute to solving or improving? Give details about how you might do so.
- Describe a challenge that you have faced and how you dealt with it. What did you learn?
- Why are you interested in participating in the AMCLI regional program? What do you hope to learn? What personal leadership challenges do you want to address?
Step C: Submit your application.
See the deadlines listed above for your specific regional program.
Once you have received an e-mail from AMCLI with a link to your online application, please ensure that ALL sections are fully completed along with your essay questions and resume/CV has been uploaded.
Section 3: Accepted Applicants
All applicants will be notified of their acceptance status via email (see notification dates listed above).
Once accepted, forms and the program fee must be RECEIVED by the deadlines listed above.
Online forms: (Links to each form are provided in the acceptance documents)
- Acceptance Form
- Program Fee Payment Link
- Bio (250-word maximum written in third person) and Photograph (at least 300 DPI jpeg or tiff file)
- Photo Release Form
- A non-refundable program fee of $250.00 by credit card ONLY.
Please carefully review this page and the FAQs page for information about the AMCLI application process and program.
If you have any questions remaining, please feel free to email us at firstname.lastname@example.org and include your full name and phone number.