- ArticleChao-hwei Shih: Buddhist Nun Leads Asia’s Fight for Gay MarriageThis article was originally published in Harvard Divinity Bulletin, with the support of CRCC’s global project on engaged spirituality. BUDDHIST MASTER THE VENERABLE Chao-hwei Shih beamed at two 30-year-old brides kneeling before her …Topics: Asia, Buddhists and Buddhism, Engaged Spirituality, Gender, LGBT Issues, Religious Leadership, Spiritual Exemplars
- ArticleRNS: India’s pioneering transgender activist defends gains in pandemicThis article was originally published in Religion News Service, with the support of CRCC’s global project on engaged spirituality. KOLKATA, India (RNS) — Well past midnight one day in late June, Ranjita Sinha, a …Topics: Asia, COVID, Engaged Spirituality, Gender, Hindus and Hinduism, LGBT Issues, Spiritual Exemplars
- ArticleAl and Andi Tauber: How Two Mennonite Musicians Turn Street Ministry Into SongThis radio documentary was produced by KALW’s The Spiritual Edge, with the support of CRCC’s global project on engaged spirituality. Listen to it on SpiritualEdge.org. To hear this and other profiles, subscribe to …Topics: Christians and Christianity, Creativity and Innovation, Economic Inequality, Engaged Spirituality, LGBT Issues, Race and Culture, Southern California, Spiritual Exemplars
- ArticleBadr Baabou: LGBTQ Activist in TunisiaThis article was originally published in Religion News Service, with the support of CRCC’s global project on engaged spirituality. Every month, 39-year-old Badr Baabou visits the whitewashed Sufi shrine of Aisha Al-Manoubya …Topics: Engaged Spirituality, LGBT Issues, Middle East and North Africa, Muslims and Islam, Spiritual Exemplars
- CRCC in the NewsKCRW: Brie Loskota on the United Methodists, Young People and ReligionWith the United Methodist Church facing a possible schism over gay clergy and marriage, KCRW asked CRCC Executive Director Brie Loskota to explain the divisions around LGBT rights in religious communities, and …Topics: Christians and Christianity, LGBT Issues
- CRCC in the NewsKPCC: Najuma Smith-Pollard on Same-Sex Marriage and the Black ChurchIn 2008, a majority of Black voters helped ban same-sex marriage in California. KPCC talked to Najuma Smith-Pollard, program manager for the USC Cecil Murray Center for Community Engagement, about whether attitudes …Topics: Black Church, CMCCE, LGBT Issues, Political Attitudes and Values, Voting and Elections
- ArticleTransitions: New Spiritual Community in Black Radical OrganizingAbstract: Competing voices within spiritual groups help to create boundaries of belonging within and beyond the group by articulating notions of identity and meaning that are based in history, myth and gender, …Topics: Creativity and Innovation, Gender, LGBT Issues, Protests and Uprisings, Race and Culture
- VideoFounders MCC: A Radically Inclusive Christian Community
- VideoBeautiful Gate: Envisioning Christian Faith in Los Angeles
- CommentaryIn Trump Era, Young Muslims Question Respectability Politics of MosquesThis article originally appeared on Religion Dispatches. Possibly this week, President Trump might sign yet another executive order, this time restricting entry to the United States from majority Muslim countries [read a draft …Topics: Creativity and Innovation, Government and Religion, Immigration, LGBT Issues, Muslims and Islam, National and Cultural Identity, Political Attitudes and Values, Race and Culture, Religious Affiliation
- CommentaryFive Trends to Watch in Religion in 2017: Culture Wars, Compounds & the Next Reformation2016 was a year that no one could predict. Last year, we laid out several religion trends worth noting. To see how our forecasts matched with reality, give them a review. The unpredictable nature …Topics: Christians and Christianity, Creativity and Innovation, Evangelicals and Evangelicalism, Government and Religion, LGBT Issues, Political Attitudes and Values, Religious "Nones"
- ArticleDoing It All For Her: A Lesbian Muslim Hip-Hop Singer on Art and ActivismThis article originally appeared on The Huffington Post. “I could’ve been like the dude in Orlando,” said Jaheda Choudhury-Potter, a self-described “geeky dark-skinned lesbian Muslim” who fronts a queer hip-hop band in …Topics: Creativity and Innovation, Europe, LGBT Issues, Muslims and Islam, Religious Extremism, Violence
To schedule an interview with one of our experts, please contact CRCC:
email@example.com or 213-743-1611
- Richard FloryExecutive DirectorRichard Flory is a sociologist whose work focuses on religion and urban life, religious and cultural change, and youth and young adults.
- Brie LoskotaContributing FellowBrie Loskota researches how religions change and make change in the world, and works to build the capacity of religious communities around the globe.
- Joe PalaciosContributing FellowJoe Palacios, a sociologist and Catholic priest, studies religion, politics and social justice in Latin America and among immigrants in the United States.
- Nick StreetSenior WriterNick Street is a journalist covering religious change and innovation, Buddhism, Pentecostalism and LGBT issues.