- CRCC in the NewsChristianity Today: Greg Laurie Joining Southern Baptist ConventionChristianity Today quoted Richard Flory, senior director of research and evaluation, in a news story about Greg Laurie joining the Southern Baptist Convention. Here’s an excerpt from the article: “I am really curious …Topics: Christians and Christianity, Evangelicals and Evangelicalism, Megachurches
- CRCC in the NewsThe Diplomat: South Korea’s MegachurchesSouth Korean megachurches are growing and innovating, despite a competitive Korean religious market, reported The Diplomat, in a story about CRCC-sponsored research. Despite many church-related controversies like sex scandals and embezzlement, church …Topics: Asia, Branding and Marketing, Christians and Christianity, Creativity and Innovation, Korea, Megachurches, Religious Affiliation
- CRCC in the NewsKorean Papers Cover Seoul Conference on Religious Competition and Creative InnovationCRCC’s research partners in Seoul, South Korea hosted a conference for the Religious Competition and Creative Innovation project, inviting scholars from around the world to discuss the themes of the project. Korean …Topics: Asia, Creativity and Innovation, Megachurches, Millennials
- CRCC in the NewsBuzzfeed: Silicon Valley’s Hippest Church Is Going PublicCRCC’s senior research director Richard Flory was quoted by Buzzfeed about religious revival in Silicon Valley. An excerpt from the article: C3SV’s [an independent offshoot of a Pentecostal megachurch] parent, C3 Global, …Topics: Branding and Marketing, Christians and Christianity, Megachurches, Pentecostals and Pentecostalism
- CommentaryIn the Age of Megachurches, Sometimes Less Is MoreThis post originally appeared on Religion Dispatches. We have long known, as sociologist Mark Chaves says, that “most congregations in the United States are small, but most people are in large congregations.” …Topics: Christians and Christianity, Creativity and Innovation, Evangelicals and Evangelicalism, Megachurches
- CommentarySlimming the Megachurch in Seoul and Los AngelesYoido Full Gospel Church is the world’s largest megachurch. When we visited the Seoul church one weekday morning last fall, I was struck by two things: First the church was full, but …Topics: Asia, Christians and Christianity, Creativity and Innovation, Evangelicals and Evangelicalism, Korea, Megachurches
- CommentaryA Crisis of Integrity in Seoul, the Megachurch Capital of the WorldSeoul, South Korea is the “Megachurch Capital of the World.” Not only is Seoul home to the largest known Protestant church in the universe, Yoido Full Gospel Church, the city has more …Topics: Asia, Catholics and Catholicism, Christians and Christianity, Creativity and Innovation, Economic Inequality, Immigration, Korea, Megachurches, Religious Leadership
- CommentaryThe Top Five Religion Trends to Watch in 2016From the rise of evangelical hipsters to the rise of religious “nones,” religion is in a period of flux as we end one year and look forward to the next. Here at …Topics: Black Church, Catholics and Catholicism, Christians and Christianity, Creativity and Innovation, Economic Inequality, Evangelicals and Evangelicalism, Hunger and Food Policy, Immigration, Latinos, LGBT Issues, Megachurches, Millennials, Place and Religion, Political Attitudes and Values, Protests and Uprisings, Race and Culture, Religious "Nones", Religious Leadership, Social Services, Voting and Elections
- CommentaryHow Will Church Plants Grow Without Becoming Megachurches?Six years ago, Peter Guinta and his wife decided to leave their megachurch in Orange County because they wanted a place where they could “be known and know others.” Guinta felt like …Topics: Creativity and Innovation, Megachurches
- CommentaryU2, Justin Bieber and the Future of ChristianityWhat exactly is the shelf life of a headlining rock band and an equally headline-grabbing pastor? When I heard that U2 had summoned megachurch pastor Rick Warren to minister to them in …Topics: Branding and Marketing, Creativity and Innovation, Media, Megachurches
- CRCC in the NewsRev. Robert H. Schuller, Crystal Cathedral Founder, Dies at 88The Rev. Robert H. Schuller, who founded one of the world’s first megachurches only to see it fall apart, died Thursday morning. Schuller founded the Garden Grove Community Church in Orange County, …Topics: Megachurches
- MapCalifornia MegachurchesMegachurches Adapted from the description provided by the Hartford Institute for Religion Research. When researchers talk about “megachurches,” they are generally referring to any Protestant congregation with a sustained average weekly attendance …Topics: Evangelicals and Evangelicalism, maps, Megachurches, Southern California
To schedule an interview with one of our experts, please contact CRCC:
firstname.lastname@example.org or 213-743-1611
- Brad ChristersonContributing FellowBrad Christenson is a sociologist who has written extensively in the areas of religion, race, ethnicity, and globalization.
- Richard FlorySenior Director of Research and EvaluationRichard Flory is a sociologist whose work focuses on religion and urban life, religious and cultural change, and youth and young adults.
- Andrew JohnsonResearch AssociateAndrew Johnson is a sociologist who studies religion on the margins of society, with specific interests in religious practice inside of prison, Latin American Pentecostalism and religionin the city.
- Juan MartínezContributing FellowJuan Martinez studies the history of Latino Protestantism, Latino Protestant identity and transnational mission among U.S. Latinos.
- Donald E. MillerDirector of Strategic InitiativesDonald Miller focuses on global religious trends, genocides of the 20th century, and the role of religious NGOs in addressing issues of moral concern.
- Rebecca SagerContributing FellowRebecca Sager’s work focuses on political and religious movements and parities in American political life.
- Mark WhitlockExecutive Director of USC Cecil Murray Center for Community EngagementRev. Mark Whitlock is a pastor specializing in church leadership and community and economic development.
- Tetsunao YamamoriContributing FellowTetsunao Yamamori is a sociologist with expertise in global Pentecostalism.