- CommentaryRevisiting the legacy of Jerry Falwell Sr. in Trump’s AmericaThis article was originally published on The Conversation. Recently, President Donald Trump appointed evangelical Christian leader Jerry Falwell Jr. to head the White House education reform task force. Not much is known …Topics: Christians and Christianity, Education, Evangelicals and Evangelicalism, Government and Religion, Political Attitudes and Values, Religious Leadership, Religious Regulation and Accommodation
- CommentaryHow to Handle Church Rip-Off Artists – Church Finance SeriesThis article originally appeared in The Christian Recorder. In bad economic times, churches are the target of professional con artists committed to ripping the church off. Some rip off artists hit 50 …Topics: Black Church, Christians and Christianity, CMCCE, Economic Inequality, Faith-Based Organizations, Religious Leadership, Social Services
- CRCC in the NewsMedia Coverage of L.A. Civil Unrest AnniversaryHaving grown out of the 1992 Los Angeles civil Unrest, the USC Center for Religion and Civic Culture and Cecil Murray Center for Community Engagement commemorated the 25th anniversary with multiple opportunities …Topics: Black Church, CMCCE, Disaster Response, Faith-Based Organizations, Government and Religion, Protests and Uprisings, Race and Culture, Religious Leadership, Violence
- CommentaryA Declaration of InterdependenceA nation of nations, our actions in these troubled times must be guided by a notion of notions—let us call it “A Declaration of Interdependence.” We were founded to be a beacon …Topics: CMCCE, Protests and Uprisings, Religious Leadership, Southern California, Violence
- VideoMay 3, 1992: Rev. Cecil Murray Preaches as the Fires of the L.A. Riots Burn
- CommentaryHow a Christian Movement Is Growing Rapidly in the Midst of Religious DeclineThis article was originally published on The Conversation. In August of 2011, more than 30,000 people cheered wildly as the then U.S. presidential candidate and Texas Governor Rick Perry – now secretary …Topics: Christians and Christianity, Creativity and Innovation, Pentecostals and Pentecostalism, Political Attitudes and Values, Religious Leadership
- CRCC in the NewsReligion Dispatches: “Integrated into a Burning House?”: A Pre-Inauguration Conversation with Rev. Cecil MurrayIn response to America’s changing social and political climate, Religion Dispatches interviewed Rev. Cecil Murray to discuss how the Black Church’s past can influence its future role under a Trump Presidency. Rev. Murray …Topics: Black Church, CMCCE, Government and Religion, Political Attitudes and Values, Religious Leadership, Voting and Elections
- CRCC in the NewsThe Orange County Register: Irvine pastor Rev. Mark Whitlock exhorts church to ‘set a moral tone’ during Trump PresidencyIn response to the surprising Trump victory of this year’s Presidential election, the Rev. Mark Whitlock is encouraging for faith organizations to be prominent moral voices against any future policies that could …Topics: Black Church, Christians and Christianity, Creativity and Innovation, Evangelicals and Evangelicalism, Government and Religion, Political Attitudes and Values, Religious Leadership, Voting and Elections
- CommentaryWhat it Means to be a Fearless AllyThis post is Brie Loskota’s acceptance speech for the El-Hibri Foundation’s “Fearless Ally” Award and was published by The Aspen Institute. I was born in the Philippines, I was raised as a …Topics: Creativity and Innovation, Highlights, Interfaith/Multifaith Movements, Muslims and Islam, Religious Leadership
- CommentaryA Post-Election Prayer for Love, Families and UnityThe Rev. Najuma Smith-Pollard, program manager for the USC Cecil Murray Center for Community Engagement, was part of a prayer service for hope and unity at the Cathedral of Our Lady of …Topics: Black Church, Christians and Christianity, CMCCE, Family and Relationships, Government and Religion, Interfaith/Multifaith Movements, Race and Culture, Religious Leadership, Southern California
- CommentaryBeing Prophetic from the Pulpit in a Strained Political SeasonThis post was also published by the Los Angeles Sentinel. I was not quite ready for the personal challenge posed by “The Birth of a Nation,” the new film by Nate Parker. …Topics: Black Church, Christians and Christianity, CMCCE, Religious Leadership, Voting and Elections
- CommentaryCatholic Sisters in Africa: Strong, Vital and Taking on Global ChallengesThis post was adapted from our report on the Conrad N. Hilton’s Catholic Sisters Initiative. Catholic sisters have been present in Africa since the Sisters of St. Joseph of Cluny landed on …Topics: Catholics and Catholicism, Christians and Christianity, Economic Inequality, Gender, Government and Religion, International Affairs and Policy, Nuns and Women Religious, Religious Leadership, Sub-Saharan Africa
To schedule an interview with one of our experts, please contact CRCC:
email@example.com or 213-743-1611
- Sumaya AbubakerProject ManagerSumaya Abubaker manages leadership and civic engagement programming for minority faith communities.
- Steven Barrie-AnthonyContributing FellowSteven Barrie-Anthony is a scholar and writer who examines spiritual and religious innovation and change and its impacts on public life, such as on styles of civic and political action.
- Samuel ChuContributing FellowSamuel Chu is a seasoned community organizer and strategist who works at the intersection of faith and public policy.
- Richard FlorySenior Director of Research and EvaluationRichard Flory is a sociologist whose work focuses on religion and urban life, religious and cultural change, and youth and young adults.
- Peter B. GudaitisContributing FellowPeter B. Gudaitis is an expert of faith communities and disaster readiness, response and recovery.
- Rev. Frank Jackson, Jr.Contributing FellowRev. Frank Jackson, Jr. couples his experience in business and investment with his passion for community development.
- Brie LoskotaExecutive DirectorBrie Loskota researches how religions change and make change in the world, and works to build the capacity of religious communities around the globe.
- Donald E. MillerDirector of Strategic InitiativesDonald Miller focuses on global religious trends, genocides of the 20th century, and the role of religious NGOs in addressing issues of moral concern.
- Cecil L. MurrayUniversity FellowRev. Cecil Murray works to ensure that the legacy of African American Church leaders pass on their years of experience to the next generation.
- Nadia RoumaniContributing FellowNadia Roumani has worked with a wide range of organizations over the past decade to better understand the needs of Muslim communities across the United States.
- Jonathan RussellContributing FellowJonnie Russell is a scholar engaging religion, philosophy and politics, and a chaplain working for social justice on Skid Row in downtown Los Angeles.
- Najuma Smith-PollardProgram Manager of the USC Cecil Murray Center for Community EngagementRev. Najuma Smith-Pollard combines her experience as a pastor and expertise as a community leader to train Murray Center Fellows.
- Nick StreetSenior WriterNick Street is a journalist covering religious change and innovation, Buddhism, Pentecostalism and LGBT issues.
- Mark WhitlockExecutive Director of USC Cecil Murray Center for Community EngagementRev. Mark Whitlock is a pastor specializing in church leadership and community and economic development.