- CommentaryHow California’s Megachurches Changed Christian CultureThis article was originally published on The Conversation. The popular view of California is of a liberal, godless region, a land of possibilities that is open to experimentation in all things. As …Topics: Branding and Marketing, Christians and Christianity, Creativity and Innovation, Evangelicals and Evangelicalism, Megachurches, Southern California
- CRCC in the NewsNew York Times: Richard Flory on Hillsong’s Celebrity Culture“Own the Moment” by Hillsong NYC Pastor Carl Lentz presents the church’s brand of hip, approachable Christianity, according to the New York Times Books section. The story turned to CRCC’s Richard Flory …Topics: Branding and Marketing, Christians and Christianity, Pentecostals and Pentecostalism
- CRCC in the NewsThe New York Times: The Creation of a Modern MegachurchIn a few years, Zerephath Christian Church in New Jersey has transformed from the dwindling base of a little-known denomination to a large megachurch. The New York Times reported on this transition, turning to CRCC’s …Topics: Branding and Marketing, Christians and Christianity, Creativity and Innovation, Evangelicals and Evangelicalism, Megachurches, Multi-ethnic / Multi-racial Congregations
- CRCC in the NewsRight Wing Watch: Trump’s Dominionist Prayer Warriors and the ‘Prophetic Order of the United States’POTUS Shield is a group of Pentecostal leaders devoted to helping President Donald Trump bring about the reign of God across the country and world. Many of the “prophets” and “apostles” taking …Topics: Branding and Marketing, Christians and Christianity, Government and Religion, Megachurches, Pentecostals and Pentecostalism, Political Attitudes and Values
- CRCC in the NewsChristianity Today: The ‘Prophets’ and ‘Apostles’ Leading the Quiet Revolution in American ReligionA Christian movement has become one of the fastest-growing faith groups in the country recently, attracting millions of followers with promises of direct access to God. Christianity Today interviewed CRCC Senior Director …Topics: Branding and Marketing, Christians and Christianity, Creativity and Innovation, Megachurches, Population Trends, Religious Affiliation, Religious Beliefs and Rituals, Religious Leadership, Southern California
- CRCC in the NewsThe Diplomat: South Korea’s MegachurchesSouth Korean megachurches are growing and innovating, despite a competitive Korean religious market, reported The Diplomat, in a story about CRCC-sponsored research. Despite many church-related controversies like sex scandals and embezzlement, church …Topics: Asia, Branding and Marketing, Christians and Christianity, Creativity and Innovation, Korea, Megachurches, Religious Affiliation
- CRCC in the NewsBuzzfeed: Silicon Valley’s Hippest Church Is Going PublicCRCC’s senior research director Richard Flory was quoted by Buzzfeed about religious revival in Silicon Valley. An excerpt from the article: C3SV’s [an independent offshoot of a Pentecostal megachurch] parent, C3 Global, …Topics: Branding and Marketing, Christians and Christianity, Megachurches, Pentecostals and Pentecostalism
- CommentaryU2, Justin Bieber and the Future of ChristianityWhat exactly is the shelf life of a headlining rock band and an equally headline-grabbing pastor? When I heard that U2 had summoned megachurch pastor Rick Warren to minister to them in …Topics: Branding and Marketing, Creativity and Innovation, Media, Megachurches
- CommentaryReflections on “Preachers of LA” and the Prosperity Gospel“Preachers of LA,” is a new reality show on Oxygen, chronicling the outsized lives of celebrity pastors living a life of prosperity. Over 1.2 million viewers watched the show’s premiere, but what …Topics: Black Church, Branding and Marketing, Christians and Christianity, Media
- CommentaryWhat Does the Demise of the Crystal Cathedral Mean For Our Megachurches?This post originally appeared in Zócalo Public Square. If this year were like years past, the Crystal Cathedral, the Philip Johnson-designed Protestant megachurch in Garden Grove, would be abuzz with the “The …Topics: Branding and Marketing, Christians and Christianity, Evangelicals and Evangelicalism, Megachurches, Religious Leadership, Southern California
- CommentaryNothing Sparks a Movement Like an Adversary (and Some Bad PR)This post originally appeared on Trans/Missions, the USC Knight Chair in Media and Religion site. When TLC first aired “All-American Muslim,” the show met with some harsh criticism from within the Muslim …Topics: Branding and Marketing, Media, Muslims and Islam, Transmissions
- CommentaryHomeboy, Bieber and the Brand-value of GodThis post originally appeared on Trans/Missions, the USC Knight Chair in Media and Religion site. A few weeks ago I walked into my hometown Ralph’s grocery store in a suburb of Los …Topics: Branding and Marketing, Catholics and Catholicism, Media, Transmissions
To schedule an interview with one of our experts, please contact CRCC:
email@example.com or 213-743-1611
- Richard FlorySenior Director of Research and EvaluationRichard Flory is a sociologist whose work focuses on religion and urban life, religious and cultural change, and youth and young adults.
- Brie LoskotaExecutive DirectorBrie Loskota researches how religions change and make change in the world, and works to build the capacity of religious communities around the globe.
- Nick StreetSenior WriterNick Street is a journalist covering religious change and innovation, Buddhism, Pentecostalism and LGBT issues.
- Megan SweasEditor and Director of CommunicationsMegan Sweas is a journalist specializing in social and economic justice issues and world religions.
- Adlai WertmanUniversity FellowAdlai Wertman teaches social entrepreneurship at USC. He led Chrysalis, a non-profit devoted to helping the homeless in Los Angeles gain employment.
- Mark WhitlockExecutive Director of USC Cecil Murray Center for Community EngagementRev. Mark Whitlock is a pastor specializing in church leadership and community and economic development.
- Diane WinstonUniversity FellowAs a journalist and scholar, Diane Winston is a national authority on religion, politics, the news media and entertainment.