- ArticleRNS: Indian Priest Warner D’Souza Makes The Kitchen His Pulpit Amidst the PandemicThis article was originally published in Religion News Service with the support of CRCC’s global project on engaged spirituality. MUMBAI, India (RNS) — From his kitchen in a suburb of North Mumbai, 50-year-old Catholic …Topics: Asia, Catholics and Catholicism, COVID, Engaged Spirituality, Religious Leadership
- ArticleJacques Mourad: The Syrian Catholic Priest Who StayedThis article was originally published as the cover story of the March 2, 2020 issue of America Magazine, with the support of CRCC’s global project on engaged spirituality. It became clear that …Topics: Catholics and Catholicism, Christians and Christianity, Engaged Spirituality, Middle East and North Africa, Religious Extremism, Religious Leadership, Religious Minorities, Spiritual Exemplars, Violence
- AudioIsmael “Melo” Moreno: A Voice of Opposition in HondurasThis radio documentary was produced by KALW’s The Spiritual Edge, with the support of CRCC’s global project on engaged spirituality. Listen to it on The Spiritual Edge website. Father Ismael Moreno Coto …Topics: Catholics and Catholicism, Engaged Spirituality, Latin America, Spiritual Exemplars
- CRCC in the NewsDeseret News: Flory on Justin Bieber’s ChristianityWhy does it seem that everyone is buzzing about Justin Bieber’s faith? Deseret News interviewed Richard Flory on the allure of celebrity Christians. Here is an excerpt: That’s been the case for …Topics: Evangelicals and Evangelicalism, Religious Affiliation
- CommentaryThe Roaring 20s: Religion Trends to Watch in 2020 and the Next DecadeThe 1920s was a decade of change, and we see the 2020s as reminiscent of the cultural flux of that period. When people think of the 1920s, many imagine a golden era …Topics: Community Dynamics, Environment, Evangelicals and Evangelicalism, Political Attitudes and Values, Race and Culture
- CRCC in the NewsWashington Post & RNS: Flory on Pentecostal Church’s Attempt to Resurrect a ChildHundreds of congregants attempted to resurrect a 2-year-old girl with song and dance at Bethel Church in Redding, California. The Washington Post and Religious News Service interviewed Richard Flory on Pentecostal beliefs …Topics: Pentecostals and Pentecostalism
- CRCC in the NewsDeseret News: Richard Flory on the Instagrammable Bible and Kanye’s ChristianityYoung Christian entrepreneurs are bringing an Instagram aesthetic to the Bible. Alabaster Co. produces books of the Bible with large, artistic images. The Deseret News asked Richard Flory, CRCC’s Senior Director of …Topics: Christians and Christianity, Evangelicals and Evangelicalism
- CRCC in the NewsThe Guardian: Flory on the Rise of Pentecostalism in AmericaToday’s Pentecostalism in America is not what it used to be. As Australian Pentecostal groups – such as Hillsong, C3, and A21 – are rapidly growing across America, they are also transforming …Topics: Christians and Christianity, Megachurches, Pentecostals and Pentecostalism
- CRCC in the NewsThe Monthly: Flory on the Popularity of Hillsong’s Christine CaineMegachurch Hillsong has recently been attracting a growing number of worshippers, and Christine Caine has emerged as a rising star among America’s evangelical circuit, selling out theaters and megachurches across the country. …Topics: Evangelicals and Evangelicalism, Megachurches, Pentecostals and Pentecostalism
- CRCC in the NewsKCRW: Flory on the Popularity of Hillsong and Celebrity ChristianityHillsong Church and other popular evangelical churches are attracting celebrities and large number of young Christians, but their stances on social issues are more conservative than many attendees may realize. KCRW’s Press …Topics: Evangelicals and Evangelicalism, Pentecostals and Pentecostalism
- CommentaryNobel Peace Prize Winner Denis Mukwege Keeps the Faith in the Face of ViolenceI had the privilege of interviewing 2018 Nobel Peace Prize winner Doctor Denis Mukwege in 2017 in the small country of Armenia, where he was a finalist for the Aurora Prize—a $1 …Topics: Engaged Spirituality, Pentecostals and Pentecostalism, Spiritual Exemplars, Sub-Saharan Africa, Violence
- CommentaryMedicine, Masculinity and Marketing: Trends to Watch in Religion in 2019In the past year, we have seen our 2018 trends to watch come to fruition with stories of the supernatural, trust in institutions, activist healers, faith-based political organizing and women stepping up …Topics: Branding and Marketing, Creativity and Innovation, Evangelicals and Evangelicalism, Gender,
To schedule an interview with one of our experts, please contact CRCC:
email@example.com or 213-743-1611
- Brad ChristersonContributing FellowBrad Christenson is a sociologist who has written extensively in the areas of religion, race, ethnicity, and globalization.
- Richard FlorySenior Director of Research and EvaluationRichard Flory is a sociologist whose work focuses on religion and urban life, religious and cultural change, and youth and young adults.
- Andrew JohnsonPast FellowAndrew Johnson is a sociologist who studies religion on the margins of society, with specific interests in religious practice inside of prison, Latin American Pentecostalism and religion in the city.
- Brie LoskotaExecutive DirectorBrie Loskota researches how religions change and make change in the world, and works to build the capacity of religious communities around the globe.
- Juan MartínezPast FellowJuan Martinez studies the history of Latino Protestantism, Latino Protestant identity and transnational mission among U.S. Latinos.
- Tarra McNallyAssistant Director of EvaluationTarra McNally is an anthropologist specializing in evaluation and global health.
- Donald E. MillerDirector of Strategic InitiativesDonald Miller focuses on global religious trends, genocides of the 20th century, and the role of religious NGOs in addressing issues of moral concern.
- Joe PalaciosContributing FellowJoe Palacios, a sociologist and Catholic priest, studies religion, politics and social justice in Latin America and among immigrants in the United States.
- Rebecca SagerContributing FellowRebecca Sager’s work focuses on political and religious movements and parties in American political life.
- Nick StreetSenior WriterNick Street is a journalist covering religious change and innovation, Buddhism, Pentecostalism and LGBT issues.
- Megan SweasEditor and Director of CommunicationsMegan Sweas is a journalist specializing in social and economic justice issues and world religions.
- Diane WinstonUniversity FellowAs a journalist and scholar, Diane Winston is a national authority on religion, politics, the news media and entertainment.