- BookBack-Pocket God: Religion and Spirituality in the Lives of Emerging AdultsBack-Pocket God: Religion and Spirituality in the Lives of Emerging Adults By Melinda Lundquist Denton & Richard Flory (Oxford University Press, 2020) More than a decade ago, a group of researchers began …Topics: Books, Millennials, Religious Affiliation
- CRCC in the NewsDeseret News: Flory on Justin Bieber’s ChristianityWhy does it seem that everyone is buzzing about Justin Bieber’s faith? Deseret News interviewed Richard Flory on the allure of celebrity Christians. Here is an excerpt: That’s been the case for …Topics: Evangelicals and Evangelicalism, Religious Affiliation
- CRCC in the NewsDeseret News: Flory on Declining Church AttendanceToday, nearly 1/4 of Americans do not affiliate with a faith group, and church leaders across the country are growing concerned on how to combat declining church attendance rates. Deseret News interviewed CRCC’s Senior Director …Topics: Christians and Christianity, Religious "Nones", Religious Affiliation
- CRCC in the NewsReligion News Service: As Americans Disengage From Religion, A California Institution Encourages QuestioningAgainst the backdrop of decreasing religiosity in America, the Krikshnamurti Foundation of America (KFA) finds a growing following that encourages members to question and reach their own conclusions about their faith. Religion …Topics: Creativity and Innovation, Religious "Nones", Religious Affiliation
- CRCC in the NewsLarry King Now: Richard Flory on the Future of Faith in AmericaDespite the fact that the United States remains the most religious first world country in the world, religiosity is on the decline among Americans under 40. Joining a panel of faith leaders, …Topics: Religious Affiliation
- CommentaryHoly Listening Connects Young Adults to ChurchesThis post, co-authored by Dori Baker, originally appeared on Faith & Leadership. Multicolored Post-it notes dot the walls of the seminary classroom. Here, in a pop-up design thinking lab, people are buzzing …Topics: Christians and Christianity, Creativity and Innovation, Millennials, Religious Affiliation
- CRCC in the NewsThe Hill: Richard Flory on the Religious Right’s Criticism of Trump’s Immigration PoliciesThe controversy over child separation at the southern border is forcing many conservative Christian leaders to be more critical of Donald Trump than they have in the past. Though some believe this …Topics: Christians and Christianity, Community Dynamics, Government and Religion, Immigration, International Affairs and Policy, Political Attitudes and Values, Religious Affiliation, Religious Leadership
- CRCC in the NewsThe Aspen Institute: Loskota on Tackling Hate Through Interfaith InitiativesBridging faith communities is essential to combat violence against minorities and create partnerships to tackle the challenges that face society. The Aspen Institute interviewed CRCC Executive Director Brie Loskota for a podcast …Topics: Community Dynamics, Creativity and Innovation, Faith-Based Organizations, Media, Political Attitudes and Values, Population Trends, Religious Affiliation, Religious Leadership
- CRCC in the News83.9 KPCC: Mark Whitlock on LA’s Korean Christian Community Seeking Social ImpactKorean Americans make up a large portion of Los Angeles’ population, and many of them identify as Christian. However, Korean churches do not have the same reputation for impacting the community in …Topics: Black Church, Christians and Christianity, CMCCE, Community Organizing, Faith-Based Organizations, Immigration, Political Attitudes and Values, Race and Culture, Religious Affiliation, Religious Leadership, Social Services, Southern California
- VideoReimagining Religion Conference: The Future of Religion in Los Angeles
- CommentaryHow a Growing Christian Movement is Seeking to Change AmericaThis article was originally published on The Conversation. Last week, from Oct. 6 to 9, the National Mall in Washington, D.C. was filled with tents, worship music and prayer for the “Awaken …Topics: Christians and Christianity, Government and Religion, Pentecostals and Pentecostalism, Political Attitudes and Values, Religious Affiliation, Voting and Elections
- ArticleAyahuasca-naut: A Zen Student’s Experiment with Shamanic MedicineThis piece originally appeared in Boom California. A hallucinogenic brew called ayahuasca is having a heyday in the United States. Rolling Stone, Fusion, VICE and other trend-spotting news outlets have posted stories about spiritual adventurers tripping …Topics: Creativity and Innovation, Place and Religion, Religious "Nones", Religious Affiliation, Southern California
To schedule an interview with one of our experts, please contact CRCC:
firstname.lastname@example.org or 213-743-1611
- Richard FlorySenior Director of Research and EvaluationRichard Flory is a sociologist whose work focuses on religion and urban life, religious and cultural change, and youth and young adults.
- Nalika GajaweeraResearch AssociateNalika Gajaweera is a cultural anthropologist specialized in Buddhism, transnationalism and ethics, with an area expertise in South Asia.
- Andrew JohnsonPast FellowAndrew Johnson is a sociologist who studies religion on the margins of society, with specific interests in religious practice inside of prison, Latin American Pentecostalism and religion in the city.
- Brie LoskotaExecutive DirectorBrie Loskota researches how religions change and make change in the world, and works to build the capacity of religious communities around the globe.
- Donald E. MillerDirector of Strategic InitiativesDonald Miller focuses on global religious trends, genocides of the 20th century, and the role of religious NGOs in addressing issues of moral concern.
- John B. OrrCo-founder & Past FellowJohn B. Orr has worked extensively in the fields of religion, education and politics.
- Bruce PhillipsUniversity FellowBruce Phillips is among the leading researchers in the sociology of American Jewry and is an avid historian of Los Angeles.
- Nadia RoumaniContributing FellowNadia Roumani has worked with a wide range of organizations over the past decade to better understand the needs of Muslim communities across the United States.
- Rebecca SagerContributing FellowRebecca Sager’s work focuses on political and religious movements and parties in American political life.
- Nick StreetSenior WriterNick Street is a journalist covering religious change and innovation, Buddhism, Pentecostalism and LGBT issues.