- Featured TopicMurray Archive
- VideoTrust Talks: A Dialogue on Police and Race in Los Angeles
- CRCC in the NewsRight Wing Watch: Trump’s Dominionist Prayer Warriors and the ‘Prophetic Order of the United States’POTUS Shield is a group of Pentecostal leaders devoted to helping President Donald Trump bring about the reign of God across the country and world. Many of the “prophets” and “apostles” taking …Topics: Branding and Marketing, Christians and Christianity, Government and Religion, Megachurches, Pentecostals and Pentecostalism, Political Attitudes and Values
- CRCC in the NewsChristianity Today: The ‘Prophets’ and ‘Apostles’ Leading the Quiet Revolution in American ReligionA Christian movement has become one of the fastest-growing faith groups in the country recently, attracting millions of followers with promises of direct access to God. Christianity Today interviewed CRCC Senior Director …Topics: Branding and Marketing, Christians and Christianity, Creativity and Innovation, Megachurches, Population Trends, Religious Affiliation, Religious Beliefs and Rituals, Religious Leadership, Southern California
- AnnouncementApplication Open for AMCLI South IIIThe American Muslim Civic Leadership Institute is now accepting applications for its next regional program: South III will be held October 26-29, 2017 in Georgia. Click here to request an application. AMCLI …Topics: AMCLI,
- VideoSunday Assembly: Atheists Find Community at Godless Church
- VideoCatholic Sisters: Champions of Sustainable Development
- CRCC in the NewsBBC News: INC Christianity Is Growing and Influencing AmericaThe fastest growing Christian movement in the United States aims to bring the rule of God to earth, CRCC fellow Brad Christerson told BBC World Service in a radio documentary on “INC …Topics: Christians and Christianity, Creativity and Innovation, Evangelicals and Evangelicalism,
- CommentaryRevisiting the legacy of Jerry Falwell Sr. in Trump’s AmericaThis article was originally published on The Conversation. Recently, President Donald Trump appointed evangelical Christian leader Jerry Falwell Jr. to head the White House education reform task force. Not much is known …Topics: Christians and Christianity, Education, Evangelicals and Evangelicalism, Government and Religion, Political Attitudes and Values, Religious Leadership, Religious Regulation and Accommodation
- CommentaryMake 4th of July into a Day of InterdependenceOn this Day of Independence, we must note that our independence—from tyranny and oppression—always comes at a price. Freedom is not cheap! But this does not mean that we must spend more …Topics: CMCCE,
- CommentaryTrue Colors: Lessons from a Post-Authoritarian StateThis article originally appeared on The German Marshall Fund of the United States website, from Brie Loskota’s experience with The Marshall Memorial Fellowship (MMF). I have always pictured Central and Eastern Europe in black …Topics: Europe, Government and Religion, International Affairs and Policy, Political Attitudes and Values
- BookIf I Give My Soul: Faith Behind Bars in Rio de JaneiroIf I Give My Soul: Faith Behind Bars in Rio de Janeiro By Andrew Johnson (Oxford University Press, 2017) The writing of this book was supported by the Pentecostal Charismatic Research Initiative. …Topics: Books, Christians and Christianity, Criminal Justice, Economic Inequality, Latin America, Pentecostals and Pentecostalism, Religious Beliefs and Rituals
“It is reasonably easy to be an armchair critic of religion. There are ample examples of religious leaders who compromise the values of their tradition, and the fundamentalists of every religion are inevitably out of step with the latest findings of modern science.
“But the storyline about religion gets more complicated when one examines religious people in the trenches, serving the poor and disenfranchised of their societies.”
– Donald E. Miller
A Pragmatist’s View of Religion
The CRCC can connect you with one of our many expert religious researchers and writers, contact us and we’ll help you find the right person for your subject.
- Mark WhitlockExecutive Director of USC Cecil Murray Center for Community EngagementRev. Mark Whitlock is a pastor specializing in church leadership and community and economic development.
- Cecil L. MurrayUniversity FellowRev. Cecil Murray works to ensure that the legacy of African American Church leaders pass on their years of experience to the next generation.
- Brie LoskotaExecutive DirectorBrie Loskota researches how religions change and make change in the world, and works to build the capacity of religious communities around the globe.
- Donald E. MillerDirector of Strategic InitiativesDonald Miller focuses on global religious trends, genocides of the 20th century, and the role of religious NGOs in addressing issues of moral concern.
- Richard FlorySenior Director of Research and EvaluationRichard Flory is a sociologist whose work focuses on religion and urban life, religious and cultural change, and youth and young adults.
- Nalika GajaweeraResearch AssociateNalika Gajaweera is a cultural anthropologist specialized in Buddhism, transnationalism and ethics, with an area expertise in South Asia.
- Juan MartínezContributing FellowJuan Martinez studies the history of Latino Protestantism, Latino Protestant identity and transnational mission among U.S. Latinos.
- Najuma Smith-PollardProgram Manager of the USC Cecil Murray Center for Community EngagementRev. Najuma Smith-Pollard combines her experience as a pastor and expertise as a community leader to train Murray Center Fellows.
- Nick StreetSenior WriterNick Street is a journalist covering religious change and innovation, Buddhism, Pentecostalism and LGBT issues.