- ReportEngaged Spirituality: 100 Stories of Inspiration and ResilienceAround the world, humanitarians care for AIDS orphans, fight oil companies in the arctic, perform surgery in the middle of wars, save migrants from certain death in the desert or the sea, …Topics: Engaged Spirituality, Spiritual Exemplars
- ReportWealth-Building ResourcesWhat are your life goals? The USC Center for Religion and Civic Culture hosts workshops to help you build your wealth. Attend a workshop and find the motivation, confidence and tools you …Topics: CMCCE, Economic Inequality,
- FeaturedEngaged SpiritualityTopics: CMCCE, Economic Inequality,
- AnnouncementCRCC Launches Compelling Preaching InitiativeThe USC Center for Religion and Civic Culture is launching a new project that seeks to help faith leaders think about their preaching to the ever-changing social and cultural landscape. With support …Topics: Black Church, Catholics and Catholicism, Christians and Christianity, Evangelicals and Evangelicalism, Media, preaching, Religious Leadership
- MapEnvironmental Justice and Spiritual ExemplarsThis story map is best viewed on the Arcgis website.Topics: Engaged Spirituality, Environment, Spiritual Exemplars
- CommentaryThe Radical Resistance and Radical Acceptance of Spiritual ExemplarsHow spiritual exemplars work to create a world befitting of our inherent nobility A key question we are asked by consumers of our research on “spiritual exemplars” is about the qualities of …Topics: Engaged Spirituality, Meditation and Prayer, Religious Leadership, Spiritual Exemplars
- VideoSister Networks Building Hope at the US/Mexico Border
- VideoWomen of Integrity: Celebrating 175 Years of the Immaculate Heart Community
- Video“Stories of Social Change: Spirituality in Action” Exhibit Panel at USC Annenberg
- ArticleParveena Ahanger: A Grieving Mother’s Fight for the Disappeared of KashmirParveena Ahanger, a well-known Kashmiri activist, exuded her characteristic warmth as she sat cross-legged in the kitchen on a freezing January afternoon in Srinagar, the region’s largest city. The warmest corner of …Topics: Asia, Engaged Spirituality, Muslims and Islam, Spiritual Exemplars, Violence, weforum
- CommentaryThe Complex Relationship Between Religion and HumanitarianismThe hero image of religious saints involved in humanitarian work warrants examination. I have come to this conclusion in the process of leading a global project on “spiritual exemplars” at USC’s Center …Topics: Disaster Response, Engaged Spirituality, Faith-Based Organizations, Religious Leadership, Social Services, Spiritual Exemplars, Violence, weforum
- CommentarySpiritual Exemplars: The Pragmatism and Mystical Perspective of William JamesWilliam James was the inspiration for our project on “spiritual exemplars” at the USC Center for Religion and Civic Culture. James, a philosopher and psychologist, believed that one learns more from what …Topics: Engaged Spirituality, Religious Leadership, Spiritual Exemplars
“It is reasonably easy to be an armchair critic of religion. There are ample examples of religious leaders who compromise the values of their tradition, and the fundamentalists of every religion are inevitably out of step with the latest findings of modern science.
“But the storyline about religion gets more complicated when one examines religious people in the trenches, serving the poor and disenfranchised of their societies.”
– Donald E. Miller
A Pragmatist’s View of Religion
CRCC can connect you with one of our many expert religious researchers and writers. Contact us, and we’ll help you find the right person for your subject.
- Richard FloryExecutive DirectorRichard Flory is a sociologist whose work focuses on religion and urban life, religious and cultural change, and youth and young adults.
- Nalika GajaweeraSenior Research AnalystNalika Gajaweera is a cultural anthropologist specialized in Buddhism, transnationalism and ethics, with an area expertise in South Asia.
- Najuma SmithAssistant Director of Community and Public EngagementRev. Najuma Smith combines her experience as a pastor and expertise as a community leader to train Murray Center Fellows.
- Donald E. MillerCo-FounderDonald Miller focuses on global religious trends, genocides of the 20th century, and the role of religious NGOs in addressing issues of moral concern.
- Hebah FarragAssistant Director of ResearchHebah Farrag manages the center’s research and evaluation projects while engaging in research focused on religion, social change and new spiritualties.
- Nick StreetSenior WriterNick Street was a journalist covering religious change and innovation, Buddhism, Pentecostalism and LGBT issues.
- Tarra McNallyTarra McNally is an anthropologist specializing in evaluation and global health.
- Soraya AhyaudinAMCLI Director and Assistant Director, Learning Design and ProgramsSoraya Ahyaudin directs the American Muslim Civic Leadership Institute at the USC Center for Religion and Civic Culture.
- Megan SweasEditor and Director of CommunicationsMegan Sweas is a journalist specializing in social and economic justice issues and world religions.