- FeaturedRace and CultureTopics: Black Church, Branding and Marketing, Buddhists and Buddhism, Catholics and Catholicism, Christians and Christianity, Creativity and Innovation, Evangelicals and Evangelicalism, Interfaith/Multifaith Movements, Jews and Judaism, Latinos, LGBT Issues, Meditation and Prayer, Megachurches, Missionaries, Mormons and Mormonism, Multi-ethnic / Multi-racial Congregations, Muslims and Islam, Nuns and Women Religious, Pentecostals and Pentecostalism, Place and Religion, Religious "Nones", Religious Beliefs and Rituals, Religious Minorities, Storefront Churches, Transnational
- ReportCommunity Transformation: Outlining a Process for ChangeIntroduction: Innovation Labs for Congregational Vitality and Community Change Imagine if a church held a gala to raise money for programs to help improve the lives of its neighbors, and everyone in …Topics: Black Church, CMCCE, Faith-Based Organizations, Social Services, weforum
- ResourcesHow to Start a Wealth-Building Ministry at Your ChurchIn disadvantaged communities, economic instability makes it difficult for many to access important financial knowledge. Without this information, people cannot lift themselves up and grow their wealth. And if the people are …Topics: Black Church, CMCCE, Economic Inequality, Social Services
- ArticleA nascent #ChurchToo movement could improve gender equality in the black churchThis article was originally published by the USC Dornsife College of Letters, Arts & Sciences. By Susan Bell The first advice the Reverend Najuma Smith-Pollard gives male pastors is not to use …Topics: Black Church, Christians and Christianity, CMCCE, Gender, Religious Leadership
- VideoRev. Cecil L. Murray: A Call to Ministry
- VideoThe Murray Method of Church Leadership
- ToolsNational Association of Real Estate Brokers (NAREB) Religious Literacy Primer 2019The USC Cecil Murray Center for Community Engagement created this religious literacy primer for the National Association of Real Estate Brokers (NAREB), in an effort to help members of the organization engage …Topics: Black Church, CMCCE, Economic Inequality, Tools, weforum
- CRCC in the NewsCommunity Connection: Najuma Smith-Pollard on #MeToo in the Black ChurchThe USC Cecil Murray Center for Community Engagement organized a meeting of women leaders in the Black Church about #MeToo this fall, prompting an article in the L.A. Times. Following the article, …Topics: Black Church, CMCCE, Gender, Violence
- CRCC in the NewsKPCC: Najuma Smith-Pollard on Same-Sex Marriage and the Black ChurchIn 2008, a majority of Black voters helped ban same-sex marriage in California. KPCC talked to Najuma Smith-Pollard, program manager for the USC Cecil Murray Center for Community Engagement, about whether attitudes …Topics: Black Church, CMCCE, LGBT Issues, Political Attitudes and Values, Voting and Elections
- CRCC in the NewsLA Times: Murray Center Gathers Women for Discussion of #MeToo in Black ChurchThe USC Cecil Murray Center for Community Engagement convened a group of prominent women to discuss sexual harassment in the Black Church. The Los Angeles Times covered the #MeToo-inspired gathering, organized by …Topics: Black Church, CMCCE, Gender, Religious Leadership, Violence
- CommentaryThe Cosby Case at Church: Why Pastors Should Address Sexual AssaultBill Cosby is back in court this week. This time, in Pittsburgh, his sexual assault case is framed against the backdrop of #MeToo, the movement raising awareness of sexual harassment, and #ChurchToo. …Topics: Black Church, Christians and Christianity, CMCCE, Gender, Religious Leadership, Violence
- CRCC in the NewsThe OC Register: Reverend Cecil Murray on the 50th Anniversary of the Death of Martin Luther King Jr.April 4, 2018 marks the 50 year anniversary of the assassination of Martin Luther King in 1968. Cecil L. Murray, a faith-based leader and chair of the USC Cecil Murray Center for …Topics: Black Church, CMCCE, Political Attitudes and Values, Race and Culture, Violence
To schedule an interview with one of our experts, please contact CRCC:
email@example.com or 213-743-1611
- Brad ChristersonContributing FellowBrad Christenson is a sociologist who has written extensively in the areas of religion, race, ethnicity, and globalization.
- Donald Cook IIContributing FellowRev. Donald Cook II combines his expertise in church management with ministry and social justice initiatives to help faith organizations improve their communities.
- Richard FlorySenior Director of Research and EvaluationRichard Flory is a sociologist whose work focuses on religion and urban life, religious and cultural change, and youth and young adults.
- Rev. Frank Jackson, Jr.Contributing FellowRev. Frank Jackson, Jr. couples his experience in business and investment with his passion for community development.
- Brie LoskotaExecutive DirectorBrie Loskota researches how religions change and make change in the world, and works to build the capacity of religious communities around the globe.
- Donald E. MillerDirector of Strategic InitiativesDonald Miller focuses on global religious trends, genocides of the 20th century, and the role of religious NGOs in addressing issues of moral concern.
- Cecil L. MurrayUniversity FellowRev. Cecil Murray works to ensure that the legacy of African American Church leaders pass on their years of experience to the next generation.
- Najuma Smith-PollardProgram Manager of the USC Cecil Murray Center for Community EngagementRev. Najuma Smith-Pollard combines her experience as a pastor and expertise as a community leader to train Murray Center Fellows.