- CRCC in the NewsThe Guardian: Flory on the Rise of Pentecostalism in AmericaToday’s Pentecostalism in America is not what it used to be. As Australian Pentecostal groups – such as Hillsong, C3, and A21 – are rapidly growing across America, they are also transforming …Topics: Christians and Christianity, Megachurches, Pentecostals and Pentecostalism
- CRCC in the NewsThe Monthly: Flory on the Popularity of Hillsong’s Christine CaineMegachurch Hillsong has recently been attracting a growing number of worshippers, and Christine Caine has emerged as a rising star among America’s evangelical circuit, selling out theaters and megachurches across the country. …Topics: Evangelicals and Evangelicalism, Megachurches, Pentecostals and Pentecostalism
- CRCC in the NewsForward: Richard Flory on The Jerusalem Embassy CeremonyWhile the opening of the new U.S. embassy in Jerusalem is a political victory for Trump, it is a religious victory for evangelicals. Trump appealed to this group of evangelicals—a group who …Topics: Catholics and Catholicism, Christians and Christianity, Evangelicals and Evangelicalism, Government and Religion, International Affairs and Policy, Megachurches, Political Attitudes and Values, Voting and Elections
- CommentaryHow California’s Megachurches Changed Christian CultureThis article was originally published on The Conversation. The popular view of California is of a liberal, godless region, a land of possibilities that is open to experimentation in all things. As …Topics: Branding and Marketing, Christians and Christianity, Creativity and Innovation, Evangelicals and Evangelicalism, Megachurches, Southern California
- CRCC in the NewsThe New York Times: The Creation of a Modern MegachurchIn a few years, Zerephath Christian Church in New Jersey has transformed from the dwindling base of a little-known denomination to a large megachurch. The New York Times reported on this transition, turning to CRCC’s …Topics: Branding and Marketing, Christians and Christianity, Creativity and Innovation, Evangelicals and Evangelicalism, Megachurches, Multi-ethnic / Multi-racial Congregations
- CommentaryProsperity Gospel Is not the only Problem with Joel Osteen’s Harvey ResponseThis article originally appeared on Religion Dispatches. Twitter was outraged Monday. Megachurch Pastor Joel Osteen’s Lakewood Church, housed in a former basketball arena, looked to be dry and quiet, even as thousands of Houstonians …Topics: Christians and Christianity, Disaster Response, Faith-Based Organizations, Megachurches, Social Services
- CRCC in the NewsRight Wing Watch: Trump’s Dominionist Prayer Warriors and the ‘Prophetic Order of the United States’POTUS Shield is a group of Pentecostal leaders devoted to helping President Donald Trump bring about the reign of God across the country and world. Many of the “prophets” and “apostles” taking …Topics: Branding and Marketing, Christians and Christianity, Government and Religion, Megachurches, Pentecostals and Pentecostalism, Political Attitudes and Values
- CRCC in the NewsChristianity Today: The ‘Prophets’ and ‘Apostles’ Leading the Quiet Revolution in American ReligionA Christian movement has become one of the fastest-growing faith groups in the country recently, attracting millions of followers with promises of direct access to God. Christianity Today interviewed CRCC Senior Director …Topics: Branding and Marketing, Christians and Christianity, Creativity and Innovation, Megachurches, Population Trends, Religious Affiliation, Religious Beliefs and Rituals, Religious Leadership, Southern California
- CRCC in the NewsChristianity Today: Greg Laurie Joining Southern Baptist ConventionChristianity Today quoted Richard Flory, senior director of research and evaluation, in a news story about Greg Laurie joining the Southern Baptist Convention. Here’s an excerpt from the article: “I am really curious …Topics: Christians and Christianity, Evangelicals and Evangelicalism, Megachurches
- CRCC in the NewsThe Diplomat: South Korea’s MegachurchesSouth Korean megachurches are growing and innovating, despite a competitive Korean religious market, reported The Diplomat, in a story about CRCC-sponsored research. Despite many church-related controversies like sex scandals and embezzlement, church …Topics: Asia, Branding and Marketing, Christians and Christianity, Creativity and Innovation, Korea, Megachurches, Religious Affiliation
- CRCC in the NewsKorean Papers Cover Seoul Conference on Religious Competition and Creative InnovationCRCC’s research partners in Seoul, South Korea hosted a conference for the Religious Competition and Creative Innovation project, inviting scholars from around the world to discuss the themes of the project. Korean …Topics: Asia, Creativity and Innovation, Megachurches, Millennials
- CRCC in the NewsBuzzfeed: Silicon Valley’s Hippest Church Is Going PublicCRCC’s senior research director Richard Flory was quoted by Buzzfeed about religious revival in Silicon Valley. An excerpt from the article: C3SV’s [an independent offshoot of a Pentecostal megachurch] parent, C3 Global, …Topics: Branding and Marketing, Christians and Christianity, Megachurches, Pentecostals and Pentecostalism
To schedule an interview with one of our experts, please contact CRCC:
email@example.com or 213-743-1611
- Brad ChristersonContributing FellowBrad Christenson is a sociologist who has written extensively in the areas of religion, race, ethnicity, and globalization.
- Richard FlorySenior Director of Research and EvaluationRichard Flory is a sociologist whose work focuses on religion and urban life, religious and cultural change, and youth and young adults.
- Andrew JohnsonContributing FellowAndrew Johnson is a sociologist who studies religion on the margins of society, with specific interests in religious practice inside of prison, Latin American Pentecostalism and religion in the city.
- Juan MartínezContributing FellowJuan Martinez studies the history of Latino Protestantism, Latino Protestant identity and transnational mission among U.S. Latinos.
- Donald E. MillerDirector of Strategic InitiativesDonald Miller focuses on global religious trends, genocides of the 20th century, and the role of religious NGOs in addressing issues of moral concern.
- Rebecca SagerContributing FellowRebecca Sager’s work focuses on political and religious movements and parities in American political life.
- Tetsunao YamamoriContributing FellowTetsunao Yamamori is a sociologist with expertise in global Pentecostalism.