- ResourcesInternational Mission Photography ArchiveTracing the largest social movement of the 19th century through photographs around the globeTopics: Archive, Missionaries
- Photo GalleryLearning from History: The Japanese Internment and Reactions to Muslim AmericansWhen Roanoke, Virginia Mayor David Bowers referred to the internment of the Japanese Americans in the context of the terrorist attacks by ISIS, he wasn’t the first to see the parallels between …Topics: Archive, Missionaries, Muslims and Islam, Race and Culture
- CommentaryCompetitive Religious Philanthropy in the Wake of the Nepali EarthquakeThis post originally appeared at Religion Dispatches. The death toll in Nepal has surpassed 8,500, Reuters reported this week, making it the country’s deadliest earthquake on record. In the aftermath of the disaster, …Topics: Asia, Buddhists and Buddhism, Creativity and Innovation, Disaster Response, Hindus and Hinduism, Missionaries, Religious Extremism
- BookPentecostals, Proselytization, and Anti-Christian Violence in Contemporary IndiaPentecostals, Proselytization, and Anti-Christian Violence in Contemporary India Chad M. Bauman, Author (Oxford University Press: 2015) The writing of this book was supported by the Pentecostal Charismatic Research Initiative. …Topics: Asia, Books, Hindus and Hinduism, Missionaries, Pentecostals and Pentecostalism, Violence
- Photo EssayThe Visual History of Christian Civic Activism in ChinaAccounts of the Hong Kong campaign for political choice and universal suffrage that began in late September have emphasized the prominence of Christian activists in planning and leading that movement. Community organizer …Topics: Asia, China, Economic Inequality, Missionaries, Protests and Uprisings
- Commentary“Authentic Primitive Art”: Issues of Religion, Cross-Cultural Aesthetics, and ValueFrom “pagan idols” to “avant-garde art,” over the course of the 20th century westerners have often evaluated the same non-western objects very differently at different historical moments. For the past three years …Topics: Missionaries, Race and Culture
- CommentaryRedeeming DallasThough North Texas is hardly unchurched territory, metro Dallas has become a beachhead in the global missionary movement of Nigeria’s Redeemed Christian Church of God. About half a mile from Fellowship Church, …Topics: Christians and Christianity, Immigration, Megachurches, Missionaries, Pentecostals and Pentecostalism
- CommentaryRenewalism 101: Key Lessons from KeralaGlory Moses, a pastor’s daughter, is no spiritual slacker. Other 20-year-olds in her native Kerala may be counting the days until the opening of Kochi’s mammoth Lulu Mall—billed as the largest shopping …Topics: Asia, Missionaries, Pentecostals and Pentecostalism
- Photo EssayReading an Image in the Other Context: A Visual EssayIf a photo is worth a thousand words, what would those words say? Paul Jenkins explores questions about representation, cultural context, and historical meaning in a photograph by Basel Mission photographer Rudolf …Topics: Archive, Missionaries
- ReportRedeeming, Ruling, and Reaping: British Missionary Societies, the East India Company, and the India-to-China Opium Trade“Redeeming, Ruling, and Reaping” was published in the Journal for the Scientific Study of Religion, 48, no. 2 ( June 2009): 332-352. Jon Miller, senior research associate with CRCC, and Gregory Stanczak …Topics: Asia, China, Missionaries, Race and Culture
- BookMissionary Zeal and Institutional Control Organizational Contradictions in the Basel Mission on the Gold Coast, 1828-1917Missionary Zeal and Institutional Control Organizational Contradictions in the Basel Mission on the Gold Coast, 1828-1917 Jon Miller, Author (Eerdmans: 2003) In the historical literature on mission, …Topics: Books, Evangelicals and Evangelicalism, Missionaries, Sub-Saharan Africa
To schedule an interview with one of our experts, please contact CRCC:
email@example.com or 213-743-1611
- Juan MartínezContributing FellowJuan Martinez studies the history of Latino Protestantism, Latino Protestant identity and transnational mission among U.S. Latinos.
- Jon MillerSenior Research AssociateJon Miller is a comparative sociologist and director of the international mission photography archive.