- VideoThe Influence of Archbishop Oscar Romero
- CommentaryStudying Religion in the “Belly of the Beast” – A Prison in RioIt seemed like a good idea when I made the arrangements. But my heart was beating at double speed and I was filled with doubt, as a staff member handed me a …Topics: Christians and Christianity, Criminal Justice, Latin America, Pentecostals and Pentecostalism, Violence
- CRCC in the NewsChristianity Today Review of “If I Give my Soul”Christianity Today reviewed Andrew Johnson’s book, If I Give My Soul: Faith Behind Bars in Rio de Janeiro, giving the book five stars. Johnson’s research for the book was supported by CRCC’s Pentecostal …Topics: Christians and Christianity, Latin America, Pentecostals and Pentecostalism
- BookThe Rise of Pentecostalism in Modern El SalvadorThe Rise of Pentecostalism in Modern El Salvador: From the Blood of the Martyrs to the Baptism of the Spirit by Timothy H. Wadkins (Baylor University Press, 2017) The writing of this …Topics: Books, Christians and Christianity, Latin America, Pentecostals and Pentecostalism, Religious Affiliation
- ArticleColombian Youth Bolster Peace Accord with New SkillsPost courtesy of the United States Institute of Peace. CRCC & USIP partner to run the Generation Change Fellowship Program. By Fred Strasser The young Colombians wasted no time after finishing their …Topics: GCFP, Latin America
- BookIf I Give My Soul: Faith Behind Bars in Rio de JaneiroIf I Give My Soul: Faith Behind Bars in Rio de Janeiro By Andrew Johnson (Oxford University Press, 2017) The writing of this book was supported by the Pentecostal Charismatic Research Initiative. …Topics: Books, Christians and Christianity, Criminal Justice, Economic Inequality, Latin America, Pentecostals and Pentecostalism, Religious Beliefs and Rituals
- CommentaryEmbodied Religion: Reassessing the Role of the “Senses” in Religious ResearchWe often make the mistake of identifying religious vitality with assent to particular beliefs. In this process, we forget that intellectual assent to beliefs is merely one element of religious experience. I …Topics: Christians and Christianity, Creativity and Innovation, Latin America, Religious Beliefs and Rituals
- CRCC in the NewsResearch on Religion Podcast: Pentecostal Faith in Brazilian PrisonsThe Research on Religion Podcast featured CRCC Research Associate Andrew Johnson with a discussion of his research into the role of Pentecostalism in Brazilian prisons. His research, conducted as part of CRCC’s …Topics: Latin America, Pentecostals and Pentecostalism
- CommentaryIn Mellow L.A. and Suave Rio, Religious Movements are Similar (but Different)When I walked by the Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum on USC’s campus this week I thought of Rio de Janeiro. The Coliseum stands as a symbol of both the 1932 and 1984 …Topics: Creativity and Innovation, Latin America, Place and Religion, Protests and Uprisings, Southern California
- CommentaryIncarcerated PentecostalismThe familiar sounds of a Brazilian Pentecostal worship service flew from the open sanctuary doors of a church in Rio de Janeiro. The rattle of tambourines and shouts of “Gloria a Deus!” …Topics: Creativity and Innovation, Latin America, Pentecostals and Pentecostalism
- CommentaryBrazil’s Sleeping Giant: The Protestant ChurchDriving through Rio de Janeiro last week, I saw the phrase “O Gigante Acordou” or “The Giant Woke Up” scrawled across dozens of concrete walls, highway overpasses and World Cup-related construction sites. …Topics: Christians and Christianity, Latin America, Pentecostals and Pentecostalism, Protests and Uprisings
- ReportMoved by the Spirit: Pentecostal and Charismatic Christianity in the Global SouthNick Street reports on new trends in Pentecostal and Charismatic Christianity. The report includes information on the Pentecostal and Charismatic Research Initiative and photographs by Nick Street and Donald Miller. Download …Topics: Asia, Latin America, Pentecostals and Pentecostalism, Population Trends, Religious Beliefs and Rituals, Southern California, Sub-Saharan Africa
To schedule an interview with one of our experts, please contact CRCC:
firstname.lastname@example.org or 213-743-1611
- Andrew JohnsonContributing FellowAndrew Johnson is a sociologist who studies religion on the margins of society, with specific interests in religious practice inside of prison, Latin American Pentecostalism and religion in the city.
- Juan MartínezContributing FellowJuan Martinez studies the history of Latino Protestantism, Latino Protestant identity and transnational mission among U.S. Latinos.
- Donald E. MillerDirector of Strategic InitiativesDonald Miller focuses on global religious trends, genocides of the 20th century, and the role of religious NGOs in addressing issues of moral concern.
- Nick StreetSenior WriterNick Street is a journalist covering religious change and innovation, Buddhism, Pentecostalism and LGBT issues.