- ReportAMCLI Through the Years – Founders’ ReflectionThe American Muslim Civic Leadership Institute (AMCLI) emerged out of a research project and a convening of civic leaders in 2006. Fifteen years after its inception, the USC Center for Religion and …Topics: AMCLI, Muslims and Islam
- CommentarySexual Assault During Hajj: Will #MosqueMeToo Lead to Reforms in Mecca?In February of 2018, inspired by the #MeToo movement, Muslim women took to social media to describe sexual harassment and assault in the holiest shrines of the Islamic faith: the Kaabah in …Topics: Gender and Sexuality, Muslims and Islam, Place and Religion, Violence
- ArticleZannah Mustapha: Teaching Boko Haram’s kidsThis article was originally published in The Christian Science Monitor, with the support of CRCC’s global project on engaged spirituality. MAIDUGURI, NIGERIA — One morning in May, Zina Mustapha stood before her 20 …Topics: Education, Engaged Spirituality, Muslims and Islam, Spiritual Exemplars, Violence
- ArticleFouzia Azizi: Refugee to Refugee, Afghan Resettlement Worker Draws from Faith and ExperienceThis article was originally published by Religion News Service, with the support of CRCC’s global project on engaged spirituality. CONCORD, Calif. (RNS) — Sayed Hashmi, an Afghan citizen, did not want to leave his …Topics: Engaged Spirituality, Immigration, Muslims and Islam, Spiritual Exemplars
- ReportHealing Heartwork Toolkit: Exploring LossDeepening our understanding of Islamic tools for healing, self-care and community care In response to the emerging needs of its fellows, AMCLI launched a series of Healing Heartwork Toolkits to provide Islamic …Topics: AMCLI, Muslims and Islam
- ArticleIn Orthodox Georgia, Women Are Pioneering Tourism To A Muslim Valley Hit Hard By WarThis story was originally published by Religion Unplugged, with the support of CRCC’s global project on engaged spirituality. PANKISI, Georgia— Off the beaten path and between the thickly forested Caucacus mountains bordering Russia …Topics: Asia, Engaged Spirituality, Muslims and Islam, Spiritual Exemplars
- ArticleAlissa Wahid: A Legacy of Transformation in IndonesiaThis article was originally published by the KAICIID Dialogue Centre, with the support of CRCC’s global project on engaged spirituality. Inheriting a father’s legacy is never easy — especially when that father …Topics: Asia, Government and Religion, Interfaith/Multifaith Movements, Muslims and Islam, National and Cultural Identity, Religious Leadership, Religious Minorities, Religious Pluralism
- ArticleModi silent on Muslim philanthropist’s offer of medical supplies for IndiaThis article was originally published by Religion News Service, with the support of CRCC’s global project on engaged spirituality. NEW DELHI (RNS) — Only 30 miles from the northern Indian city of Amritsar, oxygen …Topics: Asia, COVID, Engaged Spirituality, Healthcare, Muslims and Islam, Spiritual Exemplars
- ArticleUmar Hakim: Humanitarian Day Reborn for a Ramadan in a PandemicThis article was originally published in The Washington Post and Religion News Service, with the support of CRCC’s global project on engaged spirituality. Last year, Ramadan ended just days before the murder …Topics: Community Organizing, Economic Inequality, Engaged Spirituality, Muslims and Islam, Race and Culture, Spiritual Exemplars
- CRCC in the NewsAnnenberg News: Soraya Ahyaudin on Second Pandemic RamadanMuslims are celebrating their second Ramadan during the global COVID-19 pandemic, restricting the ability to break the fast and pray together. Annenberg Media spoke with Soraya Ahyaudin, director of the American Muslim …Topics: AMCLI, COVID, Healthcare, Muslims and Islam
- ReportHealing Heartwork Toolkit: Exploring SelfDeepening our understanding of Islamic tools for healing, self-care, and community care In response to the emerging needs of AMCLI fellows, AMCLI launched a new series called “Healing Heartwork” in Ramadan 2021 …Topics: AMCLI, Muslims and Islam
- ArticleFazlun Khalid: Environmentalism Is Intrinsic To IslamThis article was originally published in Religion Unplugged, with the support of CRCC’s global project on engaged spirituality. LONDON — “The environment” is a relatively recent concept. Thomas Carlyle is believed to have …Topics: Engaged Spirituality, Environment, Muslims and Islam, Spiritual Exemplars
To schedule an interview with one of our experts, please contact CRCC:
email@example.com or 213-743-1611
- Hebah FarragAssistant Director of ResearchHebah Farrag manages the center’s research and evaluation projects while engaging in research focused on religion, social change and new spiritualties.
- Brie LoskotaContributing FellowBrie Loskota researches how religions change and make change in the world, and works to build the capacity of religious communities around the globe.
- Napah Phyakul QuachManaging DirectorNapah Phyakul Quach manages CRCC’s contracts and grants as well as oversees operations.
- Amanda QuraishiContributing FellowAmanda Quraishi is a digital media strategist, writer, public speaker and activist with an expertise in interfaith engagement.
- Nadia RoumaniContributing FellowNadia Roumani has worked with a wide range of organizations over the past decade to better understand the needs of Muslim communities across the United States.
- Rhonda RoumaniContributing FellowRhonda Roumani is a freelance journalist who writes about both the Middle East and Islam in the Muslim world and in the United States.