- ReportAMCLI Through the Years – Founders’ ReflectionThe American Muslim Civic Leadership Institute (AMCLI) emerged out of a research project and a convening of civic leaders in 2006. Fifteen years after its inception, the USC Center for Religion and …Topics: Muslims and Islam
- CommentarySexual Assault During Hajj: Will #MosqueMeToo Lead to Reforms in Mecca?In February of 2018, inspired by the #MeToo movement, Muslim women took to social media to describe sexual harassment and assault in the holiest shrines of the Islamic faith: the Kaabah in …Topics: Gender and Sexuality, Muslims and Islam, Place and Religion, Violence
- VideoImam Muhsin Hendricks: Promoting an Inclusive Islam for LGBTQ+ Muslims
- ArticleSonia Tinoco García: Responding to Muslim Asylum Seekers at the US-Mexico BorderThis article was originally published on New Lines Magazine, with the support of CRCC’s global project on engaged spirituality. It’s late afternoon in Tijuana, and the air is hot and thick. Hamza — …Topics: Engaged Spirituality, Immigration, Muslims and Islam, Southern California, Spiritual Exemplars
- ArticleHuda Abu Arqoub: Building the Land Her Grandfather KnewPeacebuilder Huda Abu Arqoub has a spiritual vision for Israel/Palestine rooted in the past. A truly holy land, she says, is one in which all can live together. When Huda Abu Arqoub …Topics: Education, Engaged Spirituality, Middle East and North Africa, Muslims and Islam, Spiritual Exemplars, Violence
- ArticleEboo Patel: Leading Interfaith America Into The New Era Of Religious DiversityThis article was originally published by Religion Unplugged, with the support of CRCC’s global project on engaged spirituality. CHICAGO — By his own telling, as a young man Eboo Patel was something of a …Topics: Engaged Spirituality, Interfaith/Multifaith Movements, Muslims and Islam, Spiritual Exemplars
- CommentaryRemembering Edmund Kaszibuloh Koroma: A Savior and Peace BuilderHe was many things rolled into one: A committed community peace builder, a passionate promoter of religious tolerance and a tireless advocate of free education for children. Above all, Edmund Kaszibuloh Koroma …Topics: Christians and Christianity, Education, Engaged Spirituality, Muslims and Islam, Spiritual Exemplars, Sub-Saharan Africa, Violence
- ArticleZannah Mustapha: Teaching Boko Haram’s kidsThis article was originally published in The Christian Science Monitor, with the support of CRCC’s global project on engaged spirituality. MAIDUGURI, NIGERIA — One morning in May, Zina Mustapha stood before her 20 …Topics: Education, Engaged Spirituality, Muslims and Islam, Spiritual Exemplars, Violence
- ArticleFouzia Azizi: Refugee to Refugee, Afghan Resettlement Worker Draws from Faith and ExperienceThis article was originally published by Religion News Service, with the support of CRCC’s global project on engaged spirituality. CONCORD, Calif. (RNS) — Sayed Hashmi, an Afghan citizen, did not want to leave his …Topics: Engaged Spirituality, Immigration, Muslims and Islam, Spiritual Exemplars
- ReportHealing Heartwork Toolkit: Exploring LossDeepening our understanding of Islamic tools for healing, self-care and community care In response to the emerging needs of its fellows, AMCLI launched a series of Healing Heartwork Toolkits to provide Islamic …Topics: AMCLI, Muslims and Islam
- ArticleIn Orthodox Georgia, Women Are Pioneering Tourism To A Muslim Valley Hit Hard By WarThis story was originally published by Religion Unplugged, with the support of CRCC’s global project on engaged spirituality. PANKISI, Georgia— Off the beaten path and between the thickly forested Caucacus mountains bordering Russia …Topics: Asia, Engaged Spirituality, Muslims and Islam, Spiritual Exemplars
- ArticleAlissa Wahid: A Legacy of Transformation in IndonesiaThis article was originally published by the KAICIID Dialogue Centre, with the support of CRCC’s global project on engaged spirituality. Inheriting a father’s legacy is never easy — especially when that father …Topics: Asia, Government and Religion, Interfaith/Multifaith Movements, Muslims and Islam, National and Cultural Identity, Religious Leadership, Religious Minorities, Religious Pluralism
To schedule an interview with one of our experts, please contact CRCC:
firstname.lastname@example.org or 213-743-1611
- Hebah FarragAssistant Director of ResearchHebah Farrag manages the center’s research and evaluation projects while engaging in research focused on religion, social change and new spiritualties.
- Napah Phyakul QuachManaging DirectorNapah Phyakul Quach manages CRCC’s contracts and grants as well as oversees operations.
- Rhonda RoumaniContributing FellowRhonda Roumani is a freelance journalist who writes about both the Middle East and Islam in the Muslim world and in the United States.