- CommentarySexual Assault During Hajj: Will #MosqueMeToo Lead to Reforms in Mecca?In February of 2018, inspired by the #MeToo movement, Muslim women took to social media to describe sexual harassment and assault in the holiest shrines of the Islamic faith: the Kaabah in …Topics: Gender, Muslims and Islam, Place and Religion, Violence
- ArticleAfrican American Muslims and the LAPD: Moving from Stories to SolutionsThis article originally appeared in BOOM California. “We don’t want to walk into a kumbaya situation,” said Umar Hakim. The sixteen men and women gathered around a conference table in Inglewood simultaneously …Topics: Community Organizing, Criminal Justice, Muslims and Islam, Southern California, Violence
- CRCC in the NewsLA Times: Thai Masjid Serves Diverse Group of MuslimsMasjid al-Fatiha started as a Thai Muslim house of worship, and has grown to incorporate worshippers from around the globe. The Los Angeles Times featured the masjid–started by the family of CRCC’s …Topics: Muslims and Islam
- AudioBrie Loskota: We Decided to Be BuildersBrie Loskota was a guest on Edina Lekovic’s Meeting the Moment podcast episode 10, where she discussed the origins of CRCC’s AMCLI program and the Generation Change program, a global youth peace-building program of the United States Institute of …Topics: AMCLI, Community Organizing, Creativity and Innovation, GCFP, Muslims and Islam
- VideoAMCLI: Building a Dynamic National Network of American Muslim Leadership
- VideoWilshire Boulevard: A Tour of Religion in Los Angeles
- CRCC in the NewsReligion & Politics Features AMCLI – The Influential Network of American Muslim LeadersThe American Muslim Civic Leadership Institute is “one of the country’s most influential networks of American Muslim civic leaders,” according to an article profiling the group in Religion & Politics. AMCLI, which …Topics: AMCLI, Community Organizing, Muslims and Islam, Religious Leadership, Social Services
- VideoPico Union Project: An Interfaith Space in Los Angeles
- VideoA Mosque with Open Doors, Inviting the Community In
- VideoThe Other Muslim Fringe: Muslim Activism in Europe
- CommentaryA Religious Test No One Can PassWe are seeing a rise of government policy predicated on religious illiteracy and religious bigotry. Executive orders are being formed to target Muslims, and border procedures assessing acceptable and unacceptable religious belief …Topics: Government and Religion, Immigration, Muslims and Islam
- CommentaryIn Trump Era, Young Muslims Question Respectability Politics of MosquesThis article originally appeared on Religion Dispatches. Possibly this week, President Trump might sign yet another executive order, this time restricting entry to the United States from majority Muslim countries [read a draft …Topics: Creativity and Innovation, Government and Religion, Immigration, LGBT Issues, Muslims and Islam, National and Cultural Identity, Political Attitudes and Values, Race and Culture, Religious Affiliation
To schedule an interview with one of our experts, please contact CRCC:
email@example.com or 213-743-1611
- Sumaya AbubakerProject ManagerSumaya Abubaker manages leadership and civic engagement programming for minority faith communities.
- Hebah FarragAssistant Director of ResearchHebah Farrag manages the center’s research and evaluation projects while engaging in research focused on religion, social change and new spiritualties.
- Brie LoskotaExecutive DirectorBrie Loskota researches how religions change and make change in the world, and works to build the capacity of religious communities around the globe.
- Napah Phyakul QuachDirector of FinanceNapah Phyakul Quach administers CRCC’s contracts and grants as well as oversees operations.
- Amanda QuraishiContributing FellowAmanda Quraishi is a digital media strategist, writer, public speaker and activist with an expertise in interfaith engagement.
- Nadia RoumaniContributing FellowNadia Roumani has worked with a wide range of organizations over the past decade to better understand the needs of Muslim communities across the United States.
- Rhonda RoumaniContributing FellowRhonda Roumani is a freelance journalist who writes about both the Middle East and Islam in the Muslim world and in the United States.