- CRCC in the NewsCSM: Why Jews Are Coming to the Defense of Mosques in AmericaIn the face of a hostile climate to religious minorities, American Jews and Muslims are increasingly finding ways to collaborate and support each other, Christian Science Monitor reported. CRCC Executive Brie Loskota …Topics: Government and Religion, Interfaith/Multifaith Movements, Jews and Judaism, Muslims and Islam
- CommentaryAn “Everybody Friendly, Artist-Driven, God-Optional” Jewish New YearMost of my memories of Jewish worship services are an amalgamation of the hundreds of services I’ve attended throughout my life. But there are a few that stand out. At a Shabbat …Topics: Creativity and Innovation, Jews and Judaism, Meditation and Prayer, Religious Beliefs and Rituals
- ArticlePraying for Rain in CaliforniaThis piece originally appeared in the Yale ISM Review. “As an American Indian, all my life I have been cursed with the myth of the ‘Indian rain dance,’” Johnny P. Flynn wrote …Topics: Catholics and Catholicism, Christians and Christianity, Environment, Jews and Judaism, Meditation and Prayer, Muslims and Islam, Southern California
- CommentaryOutsiders as Insiders: How Student Researchers Joined a Jewish WeddingBy Asher Levy and Jonathan Kaye The North Hollywood Orthodox Jewish community is a substantial, thriving community with kosher markets and restaurants, synagogues, schools and all of the accouterments of observant Jewish …Topics: Creativity and Innovation, Jews and Judaism, Religious Beliefs and Rituals
- CommentaryHappy Chrismukkah: On the Complexity of Jewish Identity(Image from Adam Baron on Flickr Commons) Back in March, I traveled to a two-day conference called “Rethinking Jewish Identity and Education” at the Mandel Center at Brandeis University. On the flight …Topics: Family and Relationships, Jews and Judaism, National and Cultural Identity, Religious Affiliation
- CommentaryA Different Approach to Studying American Jews(Photo by Yonatan Sindel) Since the Pew Research Center launched “A Portrait of Jewish Americans: Findings from a Pew Research Center Survey of U.S. Jews,” I’ve had a lot of interesting encounters …Topics: Jews and Judaism, Religious Affiliation
- CommentaryLooking at Jesus In PaintingsNote from Prof. Krieger: I have been working in City Heights in San Diego, and documenting the churches there. I have a book in progress on “pollution” and one of its foci …Topics: Christians and Christianity, Jews and Judaism, Media, Religious Beliefs and Rituals
- CRCC in the NewsThe Jewish Journal: A Jew and a Muslim?CRCC’s Brie Loskota was quoted The Jewish Journal‘s article “A Jew and a Muslim?” Loskota reflects on the idea of the non-profit company, NewGround. An excerpt from the article: NewGround is itself …Topics: Interfaith/Multifaith Movements, Jews and Judaism, Muslims and Islam
- CommentaryCreative Expressions of JewishnessThis month, the Yiddish Book Center will launch a new program called Tent: Encounters With Jewish Culture, which is based on the belief that “modern culture can inspire us to think imaginatively …Topics: Jews and Judaism, Millennials, National and Cultural Identity, Religious Affiliation
- CommentaryL.A.’s First Jewish Mayor?Since the mid 1950s Los Angeles has been the second largest Jewish community in the United States, but has never had a Jewish mayor. New York, by contrast, elected its first Jewish …Topics: Family and Relationships, Jews and Judaism, Population Trends, Southern California, Voting and Elections
- CommentaryThe Jewish Religious Scene in Southern CaliforniaThis post originally appeared in The Jewish Journal. As I wrote upon my return from from the annual meeting of the Association for Jewish Studies, embarrassed that Los Angeles was conspicuously absent …Topics: Jews and Judaism, Religious Affiliation, Southern California
- CommentaryJewish Identity and the High HolidaysMy dual roles as a Jewish sociologist and a sociologist of American Jewry come to the forefront during the Jewish High Holidays. Each year, as I take part in the holidays, I …Topics: Jews and Judaism, National and Cultural Identity, Religious Affiliation, Religious Beliefs and Rituals
To schedule an interview with one of our experts, please contact CRCC:
firstname.lastname@example.org or 213-743-1611
- Tobin BelzerContributing FellowTobin Belzer is an applied sociologist who develops research and program evaluations to support the work of non-profit organizations and philanthropists.
- Brie LoskotaExecutive DirectorBrie Loskota researches how religions change and make change in the world, and works to build the capacity of religious communities around the globe.
- Bruce PhillipsUniversity FellowBruce Phillips is among the leading researchers in the sociology of American Jewry and is an avid historian of Los Angeles.