- ArticleRachel Sumekh: The Young Jewish Woman Of Color Leading America’s Effort To End Hunger On College CampusesThis article was originally published in Religion Unplugged, with the support of CRCC’s global project on engaged spirituality. I first met Rachel Sumekh in August 2019 on the ground floor of a glimmering high …Topics: COVID, Engaged Spirituality, Jews and Judaism, Spiritual Exemplars
- ArticleRNS: France’s ‘hip’ female rabbi draws Muslims, Christians and Jews in a time of crisisThis article was originally published in Religion News Service, with the support of CRCC’s global project on engaged spirituality. (RNS) — On Tuesday nights at 8:30 p.m., tens of thousands of people throughout France …Topics: COVID, Engaged Spirituality, Europe, Interfaith/Multifaith Movements, Jews and Judaism, Religious Leadership, Spiritual Exemplars
- AudioDean Issacharoff: A Former Israeli Soldier Questions His Country and FaithThis radio documentary was produced by KALW’s The Spiritual Edge, with the support of CRCC’s global project on engaged spirituality. Listen to it on The Spiritual Edge website. Dean Issacharoff wears …Topics: Engaged Spirituality, Jews and Judaism, Middle East and North Africa, National and Cultural Identity, Spiritual Exemplars, Violence
- ReportWhen What You Do Is Who You Are: The Intersection of Jewish Organizational Culture and Identity“By the time Shabbat comes around, I don’t want to see another Jew or think about anything Jewish.” I have heard variations on that statement countless times over the years that I …Topics: Faith-Based Organizations, Jews and Judaism, weforum
- VideoWilshire Boulevard: A Tour of Religion in Los Angeles
- VideoNefesh: A Soulful Experiment in Jewish Revival
- CRCC in the NewsCSM: Why Jews Are Coming to the Defense of Mosques in AmericaIn the face of a hostile climate to religious minorities, American Jews and Muslims are increasingly finding ways to collaborate and support each other, Christian Science Monitor reported. CRCC Executive Brie Loskota …Topics: Government and Religion, Interfaith/Multifaith Movements, Jews and Judaism, Muslims and Islam
- CommentaryAn “Everybody Friendly, Artist-Driven, God-Optional” Jewish New YearMost of my memories of Jewish worship services are an amalgamation of the hundreds of services I’ve attended throughout my life. But there are a few that stand out. At a Shabbat …Topics: Creativity and Innovation, Jews and Judaism, Meditation and Prayer, Religious Beliefs and Rituals
- ArticlePraying for Rain in CaliforniaThis piece originally appeared in the Yale ISM Review. “As an American Indian, all my life I have been cursed with the myth of the ‘Indian rain dance,’” Johnny P. Flynn wrote …Topics: Catholics and Catholicism, Christians and Christianity, Environment, Jews and Judaism, Meditation and Prayer, Muslims and Islam, Southern California
- CommentaryOutsiders as Insiders: How Student Researchers Joined a Jewish WeddingBy Asher Levy and Jonathan Kaye The North Hollywood Orthodox Jewish community is a substantial, thriving community with kosher markets and restaurants, synagogues, schools and all of the accouterments of observant Jewish …Topics: Creativity and Innovation, Jews and Judaism, Religious Beliefs and Rituals
- CommentaryHappy Chrismukkah: On the Complexity of Jewish Identity(Image from Adam Baron on Flickr Commons) Back in March, I traveled to a two-day conference called “Rethinking Jewish Identity and Education” at the Mandel Center at Brandeis University. On the flight …Topics: Family and Relationships, Jews and Judaism, National and Cultural Identity, Religious Affiliation
- CommentaryA Different Approach to Studying American Jews(Photo by Yonatan Sindel) Since the Pew Research Center launched “A Portrait of Jewish Americans: Findings from a Pew Research Center Survey of U.S. Jews,” I’ve had a lot of interesting encounters …Topics: Jews and Judaism, Religious Affiliation
To schedule an interview with one of our experts, please contact CRCC:
email@example.com or 213-743-1611
- Tobin BelzerContributing FellowTobin Belzer is an applied sociologist who develops research and program evaluations to support the work of non-profit organizations and philanthropists.
- Brie LoskotaExecutive DirectorBrie Loskota researches how religions change and make change in the world, and works to build the capacity of religious communities around the globe.
- Bruce PhillipsUniversity FellowBruce Phillips is among the leading researchers in the sociology of American Jewry and is an avid historian of Los Angeles.